Reno cut back service on the California Zephyr?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

railpost

Service Attendant
Is the Reno cut back over as of now or will they continue cutting to California Zephyr to Reno on future dates this summer? Or it is just being done intermittently without any warning?

Thanks for any informative reply's.

Last edited by a moderator:
UP is doing a maintenance blitz in Tunnel 41 and some other places in the same general area around the Big Hole on Donner. Once they're done, they're done. It is the nature of a blitz, close the line, do EVERYTHING that needs doing at selected points, and get out of there. I don't think they've scheduled any other maintenance blitzes on other sections of Donner, so once it is open, it's open.

I believe the maintenance work by UP on Donner Pass is now completed and trains are rolling again. At least they were last Monday when 6(24) came through Truckee. I don't believe any of this work is done without warning -- unless there is a sudden rockslide that closes one of their lines, as often occurs in Colorado during the springtime snowmelt season.

Thanks, Chakk.

I wasn't really following the dates, so didn't know when it was to end. As I said, once a maintenance blitz is done, it's done, so Donner won't close again for another blitz for awhile; UP doesn't want the line closed any more than necessary, either. That said, I agree with chakk, there is always the possiblity of something unpredictable happending that might cause the line to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back