Rental Car agency close to EMY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarem

Train Attendant
We are on the 6 CZ from EMY. We were wondering if there is a rental car place close to the station where we could drop off a rental car there on the way out. Does anyone know if there is such a rental car drop off close by?

The airport is a long way south from Amtrak in Emeryville. According to Google Maps, Enterprise Rent-a-Car has three locations close to the Antrak station. I don't know if they still do, but Enterprise used to pick up and drop off customers. You might try calling those branches to see if they still offer the service,

Thank you! I am still trying to figure out which car rental is close to the station. I came up with Avis which is in Berkeley. But I have never been to the area before.

Thanks, it is possible that what I looked at was wrong on the Enterprise site, but it appears that this location is closed on Saturday morning. My apologies, I guess I forgot to mention earlier that we are on the Saturday Jan 13th CZ.

Last edited:
If you think you'll able to drop off your rental car and get to EMY in time to catch the 9:10am Zephyr that same day - lotsa luck. Spent about 30 minutes on the results of a Google search for Car Rental Emeryville CA and the only possibilities found were Enterprise or Hertz at the Oakland airport that open up at 6am or 7am. And they're a good 30-40 minute drive to EMY.

That Enterprise at Shattuck & Ashby opens at 9am and only during the week. It's closed on the weekend.

Let Mr. Google be your friend.

Looks like it's best to arrive in SF or Oakland/Emeryville on Friday (or before) and turn in the car Friday afternoon. You might save a day's car rental cost that you can apply aginst a hotel. FYI - If you want to stay in SF, Amtrak provides a connecting shuttle from downtown SF on Saturday morning,

If you think you'll able to drop off your rental car and get to EMY in time to catch the 9:10am Zephyr that same day - lotsa luck. Spent about 30 minutes on the results of a Google search for Car Rental Emeryville CA and the only possibilities found were Enterprise or Hertz at the Oakland airport that open up at 6am or 7am. And they're a good 30-40 minute drive to EMY.

That Enterprise at Shattuck & Ashby opens at 9am and only during the week. It's closed on the weekend.

Let Mr. Google be your friend
Thanks very much for this! There appears to be an Avis close by, but I will need to get a cab, which is fine as long as it is reliable.

When checking the hours of these agencies, be sure to scroll the calendar to include your travel date. The currently displayed hours are usually for the coming week and these may be different from when you intend to turn in the car.

Some agencies also offer something called after hours turn in where you drop off the car, lock it and put ;the key in a small strongbox. And, of course, you hope no hoodlums decide to vandalize it.

Looks like it's best to arrive in SF or Oakland/Emeryville on Friday (or before) and turn in the car Friday afternoon. You might save a day's car rental cost that you can apply aginst a hotel. FYI - If you want to stay in SF, Amtrak provides a connecting shuttle from downtown SF on Saturday morning,
Thanks! Btw, when and from where does this shuttle leave? Are there reservations to be made, or is it simply first come, first served, and tough luck if you don't fit?

Thanks! Btw, when and from where does this shuttle leave? Are there reservations to be made, or is it simply first come, first served, and tough luck if you don't fit?
You reserve your spot on the Amtrak Thru way Bus from downtown San Francisco(Pickup is on the Southside of Mission between 1St and 2nd Street) to the Emeryville Station in Advance as part of your Train Reservation.

I'd rent wherever you want then take a cab/Uber/Lyft or Emery-Go-Round (Emery Go-Round |) Friday evening to Emeryville and spend Friday night there walking distance from the station. Emery-Go-Round connects BART to Amtrak and other transit. When I leave from Emeryville, I spend the night there even when I'm driving just to be sure I can park where I want.

You reserve your spot on the Amtrak Thru way Bus from downtown San Francisco(Pickup is on the Southside of Mission between 1St and 2nd Street) to the Emeryville Station in Advance as part of your Train Reservation.
Thanks, I see! I guess we are too late because the Thruway is sold out.

I have booked a rental car for drop-off at Avis at 8 AM (which is when they open) -- it appears to be about 3 miles away from Emeryville Amtrak (2000 Kittredge St, Berkeley, CA 94704). I will also book a local cab to pick us up at 8:10 AM. There is a bus #36 that may also work perhaps, but I can not tell if that is close enough to the route. I prefer mass transit when I can help it. However, it seems that a cab has a good chance of making the three-mile distance in an hour.

in August 2017, I rented a car at the Avis in Berkeley and drove up the coast. I returned it about a week later, late afternoon, after checking in to my hotel. They were closed but I arranged to drop it off in the lot. I then walked back to my hotel about 1/2 mile away and the next morning took an Uber or Lyft (or maybe a cab, I don't remember) to EMY to catch the CZ home. If you don't mind stretching your legs, that worked pretty well. You could also drop off the car and take a ride-share or cab directly to the hotel across the tracks at EMY. I think at the time, renting a car for a week in Berkeley was significantly cheaper than at the airport or closer to EMY.

about five years ago, at 5AM a taxi from San Francisco airport to the downtown “Amtrak Thruway bus” would have cost $120+ the Lyft ride was $28.,

That Lyft ride was my first ever and got very good service.

in August 2017, I rented a car at the Avis in Berkeley and drove up the coast. I returned it about a week later, late afternoon, after checking in to my hotel. They were closed but I arranged to drop it off in the lot. I then walked back to my hotel about 1/2 mile away and the next morning took an Uber or Lyft (or maybe a cab, I don't remember) to EMY to catch the CZ home. If you don't mind stretching your legs, that worked pretty well. You could also drop off the car and take a ride-share or cab directly to the hotel across the tracks at EMY. I think at the time, renting a car for a week in Berkeley was significantly cheaper than at the airport or closer to EMY.
Thanks! Walking is always a more reliable amd ,my preferred option but with some baggage, I am concerned that it might be a bit inconvenient to make it in time. Unless I drop off before hours. There is a bus option too as a backup in case the 8:10 cab does not show up. Hopefully things will be fine.

Attachments

• 2023-12-31-085410_568x1439_scrot.png
    2023-12-31-085410_568x1439_scrot.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
Back