Rep. Sen. Trent Lott's view on Amtrak strike

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
The following is pulled from an article at http://www.wtok.com/news/headlines/471827.html regarding Trent Lott on Bases and Amtrak by reporter Stan Torgerson:

Lott called a threatened strike by Amtrak workers, designed to force Congress to increase funding for passenger rail, ill-advised.

"I'm an advocate of more funds for Amtrak," Lott said. "But this is a very dumb thing for the Amtrak union to consider. If they do that it could very well kill Amtrak because it could drive off a supporter like me. And if they don't have bipartisan support for Amtrak it is probably going to die."

Good going Amtrak unions! Not only do you want to anger and alienate passengers, but political support as well! If this goes through and service gets shut down I think I'll go on my own strike and stop riding Amtrak for a while. The passengers need to come first, employees need to continue working hard at their jobs, and the political issue needs to be left for Dave Gunn and Amtrak management to work with the politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back