Report: Obama's budget includes windfall for L.A. transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulplanet

Lead Service Attendant
The budget proposal unveiled by President Obama on Monday earmarks more than $1 billion for California transportation and construction projects, including $330 million that Los Angeles officials called crucial to extending the Purple Line from the Mid-City area to Century City.

Overall, Obama would spend more than $800 million on transit throughout the state — including $165 million to expand the Bay Area Rapid Transit system to San Jose and $150 million toward a light-rail project in San Diego — as he tries to make the case that infrastructure spending will propel a faster economic recovery.

[...]

Metro's money would be divided among three projects: $115 million for the downtown regional connector set to link several strands of the subway system; $115 million toward the first phase of the Purple Line extension from Western Avenue to La Cienega Boulevard; and $100 million for the second phase of the Purple Line extension from La Cienega to Avenue of the Stars.
source:

Obama's budget includes windfall for L.A. transportation

February 2, 2015

By Noah Bierman and W.J. Hennigan

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-obama-budget-california-20150203-story.html

Sounds nice but let's see if it gets passed through Congress. Seems I heard on the news the GOP say Obama's budget is "dead on arrival".
The GOP says that every year, whenever there is a Democratic President and they control at least one chamber on the Hill. Obama's budget is just the opening salvo in what will be long and testy negotiations over the FY2016 budget and taxes.

All presidential budgets are DOA. They're deader when the House is run by the other party, but G. W. Bush's budgets were equally dead even when Republicans controlled Congress. Congress is very jealous of their budget power.
It's a start for negotiations and the House has expressed polite interest in some items, like expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit. I would be willing to bet that a lot of dealing would need to happen to keep anything rail in the final draft.

Back