reporting from #51

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathcabforchristina

Train Attendant
Its 7am the and were still sitting in indianapolis. First our car didnt have working toilets, now the sinks dont work, when i caught the train in baltimore things were already sold out in the cafe car. And the creep infront of me wants to marry me, he even asked the conductor if he'd marry us. Weirdest trip ever.

And the creep infront of me wants to marry me, he even asked the conductor if he'd marry us. Weirdest trip ever.
At that point the conductor should have told the guy to shut up and leave you alone or he'd have him put off the train. There should be zero tolerance of that kind of behavior. Women traveling alone face all kinds of issues that men do not, and this is a perfect example.

And the creep infront of me wants to marry me, he even asked the conductor if he'd marry us. Weirdest trip ever.
At that point the conductor should have told the guy to shut up and leave you alone or he'd have him put off the train. There should be zero tolerance of that kind of behavior. Women traveling alone face all kinds of issues that men do not, and this is a perfect example.
I couldn't agree more.

If the *creep* lacks the facilities for self-management then he needs to be managed externally.

I have zero tolerance for disruptive, intrusive behavior of any kind in my personal life.

When in public, my immediate, personal space is also a zero tolerance zone.

Not funny in the least, unless you're actually amused but I'm going to assume you're not since you called him a creep.

Everyone on the train thought it was funny but me. We had chatted a bit earler but then he got weird and clingy so i was avoiding him but this kid was like, 'your husband is looking for you!' We are currently at our last stop in Dyer, IN. 1 more hour to go.

Sorry for your situation and I hope it improves quickly!!

I was on the Cardinal two years ago in July, and from Charlottesville, VA

to Indianapolis (where I disembarked) the toilets and the air conditioning

stopped working

Everyone on the train thought it was funny but me. We had chatted a bit earler but then he got weird and clingy so i was avoiding him but this kid was like, 'your husband is looking for you!' We are currently at our last stop in Dyer, IN. 1 more hour to go.
Be careful and be aware.

That kind of behavior is not normal, no matter how funny/amusing people might find it.

I have no problem saying that said creep has a personality disorder or some kind of mental illness - could be any number of things.

Keep your distance and watch your back, make sure he doesn't follow you.

Lest any of you think I'm an uptight, overly cautious, crazy lady.... I'm not.

Hell, one of my favorite seat mates (it was on the CONO) was an ex-con who grew up on the South Side in the Robert Taylor Homes.

We had the best conversations and laughs and hugged good-bye on the platform in CHI.

Be careful and be aware.

That kind of behavior is not normal, no matter how funny/amusing people might find it.

I have no problem saying that said creep has a personality disorder or some kind of mental illness - could be any number of things.

Keep your distance and watch your back, make sure he doesn't follow you.

Lest any of you think I'm an uptight, overly cautious, crazy lady.... I'm not.

Hell, one of my favorite seat mates (it was on the CONO) was an ex-con who grew up on the South Side in the Robert Taylor Homes.

We had the best conversations and laughs and hugged good-bye on the platform in CHI.
I agree. Use a little caution here. Perhaps see if you can get the conductor to give you a head start off the train when it arrives (i.e. move you to the very front of the train). If you need to wait for checked baggage, I'd step back somewhere out of sight and see if the creep shows up there. Then I'd pick up my bags.

Hope you're OK...

He moved seats and I haven't seen him in a while. Thankfully my mom will be waiting for me when I get there.
Yay!

Glad to hear that and also that you'll have someone waiting for you.

After the problems you encountered, I hope your train trip turned out to be okay in the end and that you'll keep riding.

Have a great weekend!
smile.gif

Everyone on the train thought it was funny but me...this kid was like, 'your husband is looking for you!'
People in general are ignorant and have no respect for the feelings of others. The situation you were put into was not in the least bit humorous. People just need to mind their own business and quit bullying others (especially when they have no clue what the hell is going on anyway).

On the other hand, it is sometimes benficial for others to "not mind their business", if they are sensitive enough to recognize when someone may be in peril, and intervention in certain cases may be called for and appriciated by victims of unwanted attention or abuse....

Its 7am the and were still sitting in indianapolis. First our car didnt have working toilets, now the sinks dont work, when i caught the train in baltimore things were already sold out in the cafe car. And the creep infront of me wants to marry me, he even asked the conductor if he'd marry us. Weirdest trip ever.
I don't follow. Who did he ask the conductor to marry? How did the conductor react? Did he not do anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't follow. Who did he ask the conductor to marry? How did the conductor react? Did he not do anything?
Pay attention, SH.

Not hard to follow if you do.

In plain English....

A mentally defective male passenger was harassing a female passenger after she, mistakenly, talked to him thinking he was normal.

The male passenger continued with his creepiness and asked the conductor to marry him and the female passenger he was harassing.

She wasn't amused but didn't cause a stink, probably due to the perceived instability of said male passenger.

Pay attention, SH.

In plain English....

A mentally defective male passenger was harassing a female passenger after she, mistakenly, talked to him thinking he was normal.

The male passenger continued with his creepiness and asked the conductor to marry him and the female passenger he was harassing.

She wasn't amused but didn't cause a stink, probably due to the perceived instability of said male passenger.
I know the OP was been harassed, what I did not know was what the "creep" said to the conducter and what the conductor did in return.

I pay attention, but sometimes it gets too confusing. Why is the "creep" asking a man to marry another man and a woman? He must be mentally disabled.

Pay attention, SH.

In plain English....

I know the OP was been harassed, what I did not know was what the "creep" said to the conducter and what the conductor did in return.

I pay attention, but sometimes it gets too confusing. Why is the "creep" asking a man to marry another man and a woman? He must be mentally disabled.
We'll take this slowly. A captain of a ship can marry people when at sea, so perhaps this guy thought a conductor could marry people on a train. In any event the conductor should have told the creep to mind his own business, move him to another car or toss him off the train.

The creep was asking the conductor to perform a marriage ceremony between OP and creep. :wacko:

I have been very fortunate that, as a woman traveling alone, I have not been approached by any creeps. (It probably helps that I am no spring chicken, so to speak)

The creep was asking the conductor to perform a marriage ceremony between OP and creep. :wacko:

I have been very fortunate that, as a woman traveling alone, I have not been approached by any creeps. (It probably helps that I am no spring chicken, so to speak)
If so, then that guy is really mentally disabled or he's joking. This is unacceptable!

We'll take this slowly. A captain of a ship can marry people when at sea,
This generally isn't true. To get married in the U.S., you need a marriage license, and each state lists who can perform marriages. I've yet to find a state that lists "ship captain" as an official celebrant. Strangely enough, in Minnesota the residential school administrators of the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf and the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind are allowed to perform marriages, but not a ship captain.

In the given situation, I'd think that miscreant should have been removed from the train, but I'm old fashioned.

This generally isn't true. To get married in the U.S., you need a marriage license, and each state lists who can perform marriages. I've yet to find a state that lists "ship captain" as an official celebrant. Strangely enough, in Minnesota the residential school administrators of the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf and the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind are allowed to perform marriages, but not a ship captain.

In the given situation, I'd think that miscreant should have been removed from the train, but I'm old fashioned.
I also thhink he should have been removed from the train, but maybe the conductor thought he was joking. That's all I can think of because I do not know what the conductor did.

Aw give the creep a breàk -he was just kidding around. His seat should have been chànged to under the car - bouncy bouncy

Somewhat off topic, but Captains of certain ships can and do perform wedding ceremonies at sea, where the country of the ship's registry determine the laws in effect....

Somewhat off topic, but Captains of certain ships can and do perform wedding ceremonies at sea, where the country of the ship's registry determine the laws in effect....
...where I'm sure a marriage license is available for sale in the Gift Shop.

Aw give the creep a breàk -he was just kidding around. His seat should have been chànged to under the car - bouncy bouncy
It's generally a very difficult line to discern the point beyond which someone needs to be restrained/disciplines vs simply be ignored. Obviously not being on board, I can't say where this line was, but it is very easy for all involved to perhaps even allow thing to get slightly out of hand before putting down the gauntlet. The problem comes when you OVER-react to someone who has a mental disability or really hasn't crossed a line yet.

In this situation, I would have appreciated the conductor or other onboard staff to have suggested the man to behave or find him another seat.

No matter how creepy, I can't imagine someone getting kicked off a train for asking a conductor to perform a wedding. We haven't heard back from the OP'er. Hope she is well.

...where I'm sure a marriage license is available for sale in the Gift Shop.
Almost!

If you think I am wrong....check this out... http://www.pocruises.com/wedding/ceremony.asp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back