Requesting a different roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those damn tour groups! Since I was placed in the Transdorm for an upcoming segment on #8, I checked the site tonight to see if sleeper space had loosened up at all. I did a double take at seeing a $229 SEA to CHI bucket for a roomette. My original fare for this segment was nearly $800, so I was able to move from the Transdorm to my preferred room number at a savings of about $500. The agent surmised that a tour company had just canceled their block of rooms which had earlier sent me to the Transdorm at high bucket.

I'm glad I caught this, but I wish that Amtrak would tighten up their policy against tour companies commandeering so much real estate in the sleepers, only to cancel it all 10 days before departure at no penalty to them. :(

Those damn tour groups! Since I was placed in the Transdorm for an upcoming segment on #8, I checked the site tonight to see if sleeper space had loosened up at all. I did a double take at seeing a $229 SEA to CHI bucket for a roomette. My original fare for this segment was nearly $800, so I was able to move from the Transdorm to my preferred room number at a savings of about $500. The agent surmised that a tour company had just canceled their block of rooms which had earlier sent me to the Transdorm at high bucket.

I'm glad I caught this, but I wish that Amtrak would tighten up their policy against tour companies commandeering so much real estate in the sleepers, only to cancel it all 10 days before departure at no penalty to them. :(
I doubt that happens too frequently....be careful what you wish for.....the whole cancellation policy may change.....

I doubt that happens too frequently....be careful what you wish for.....the whole cancellation policy may change.....
It depends on the train. On the Empire Builder and California Zephyr, it is not uncommon to see large blocks of rooms tied up and later released by tour operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back