Research Material

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubaallen

Lead Service Attendant
Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a persuasive speech in my speech class on why the U.S. should keep Amtrak, or at least some sort of national passenger rail system. Any ideas of where I can find references? I would accept particular websites like saveamtrak.org, but I also want to know if you know of any particular books or articles.

Thanks for the help!

Allen

There is a national organization dedicated towards saving passenger trains. I would check other railroad websites to find the link. I dont know the name of it. Also, try www.midwesthsr.org. They suuport highspeed rail in the midwest. They should have some info on there website.

Hi Tubaallen,

Any persuasive speech should contain at least a portion of an emotional appeal. I would include the aspect of trains being a part of our culture, a bit of Americana along with small towns, simpler times, symbol of a growing nation on the go, etc. I think a lot of people who dont ride trains themselves (probably because they don't travel at all) want to maintain the trains because they do see trains sentimentally, a part of our history, of who we are.

Why we should keep our trains can cerrtainly be tied to why Europe should keep their trains. Or anyone else for that matter.

Scott

I am also preparing such a presentation with a published monograph. I found a book (Stover, John F., "American Railroads," second edition, University of Chicago, 1997) a good introduction to the issues. It also has a huge list of references.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep 'em comin' if you have more!!!

scott said:
Hi Tubaallen,Any persuasive speech should contain at least a portion of an emotional appeal. I would include the aspect of trains being a part of our culture, a bit of Americana along with small towns, simpler times, symbol of a growing nation on the go, etc. I think a lot of people who dont ride trains themselves (probably because they don't travel at all) want to maintain the trains because they do see trains sentimentally, a part of our history, of who we are.

Why we should keep our trains can cerrtainly be tied to why Europe should keep their trains. Or anyone else for that matter.

Scott
Scott,

The only thought against this idea I have is the fact that I don't know if that is the right way to win over non-train lovers. Of course that would work for people like us, however, I'm not sure government officials care about that. They care about the bottom line, and what is really the best for the society from a functional point of view. I will certainly consider it though, and I definitely appreciate your two cents.

Allen

I would definitely use lots of visual aids. I know maps are available that show former passenger lines from years ago, to current. The other thing that I frequently discuss with a freind of mine when we watch MTV 2, is that trains are every, background of a music video, in song lyrics (shining example, from the Limp bizkit song "Break Stuff" there is a line that says "Its just one of those days, Feelin' like a freight train, First one to complain, Leaves with a blood stain"). Just use lots of visuals, and use those statstics, that is always a very powerful source. I love the statistic that Amtrak hauls more PAX's per day on the NEC than both of the airline shuttles COMBINED.

Allen,

I'm sure you already know this, but don't rely on internet material, especially with Amtrak. I've found some of it to be false, but sites like the NARP and Amtrak's own website should be fine. Also browse through Amtrak's press release section you should find some info. Take a visit to your local bookstore (Borders, Barnes and Nobles, etc.). You will find lots of rail history books in the transportation. I have a book on the development of high-speed rail in America, but don't remember the title. I try to dig it up tomorrow. Good luck with your report. :)

Exercise care with historical perspectives.

I am making a lengthy presentation, as part of a series of presenters over several days, to a large group of electrical engineers and marketing directors on the subject of assessing market risks in volatile markets. I contrast the U.S. railroads and the telephone system as illustrations of opposites. As someone relatively new to railroads, I’ve been surprised by the historical baggage of corruption, mismanagement, and government meddling that seems to have hurt the railroads. The problems do not negate the basic advantages: energy efficiency, environmental, diversity (in a security sense), etc.

I also think the social aspects are important. There is an overall positive advantage to getting everyone out and meeting each other in civilized situations. Today’s highways (road rage) and airports foster anti-social behavior. If anything, rail travel is a civilized activity worthy of an advanced society. Just look at Europe.

Allen,

Sorry that it took me a while to respond to your request, but I've been trying to finish a trip report for the last week or so.

I know that there are a few other places to go look, if I can just remember where I saw things. I'll update you if and when I find them.

However you can at least start with National Corridors Initiative's White Papers located here. Of particular interest should be the "Open Letter to American Journalists". You may also find some help in a couple of the other papers listed on that page.

Finally they constantly write articles and commentary on the National Train System in their weekly newsletters. You can link to them from the home page, just scroll up from where the link above places you. Sadly that may require some digging on your part though, but they do have a search engine so you can try some key word searches.

Hope this helps some. :)

Allen,

I don't know if you've done you report yet or not, however you may find this NARP report/Testimony somewhat useful. Thanks to Prodigy's On Track On Line for finding it.

It actually is a good read for anyone who supports Amtrak.

The full piece can be found on the NARP website by clicking here.

Another interesting read, although it's now a little over 20 years old, is a piece on Arizona's Rail Passenger Assoc. It describes a grand plan to grow Amtrak into a real force. You can view that article here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back