Reserved Coach seats, and roaming the train.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_guest

I was wondering if my family would have a problem roaming the train. What I mean is, with reserved coach, there are not seat assignments, it is sort of first come first serve. So what happens if we are not in the seats that we have chosen, and someone boards the train looking for a seat. Is there some indication, that the seat is in use, other than leaving a coat or something on it? My concern is, with 4 of us, we would like to get 4 seats together, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them, in the middle of the trip because we weren't planted in the seats the whole time.

In almost all cases, except for short haul trains, seats are assigned by a crew member when you board. In both cases short haul and long distance, the condutor will place a seat check above your seats. That check indicates three things, one that the seats are occupied. Two that he has indeed collected your tickets. Three it tells all crew members where you are supposed to get off of the train.

So you should have no problem roaming the train and loosing your seats. Some people also prefer to leave a coat, a book, or other object in the seats to indicate that they are occupied. Just don't leave any valuable items in the seats, make sure that they are hidden in your luggage. And never leave a purse behind.

Thanks for the reply. I figured there must be some system, but I feel better having heard it from someone. Afterall, if we couldn't wander the train, we would rather be in a car. We are going on the silver star/silver meteor in March. My kids are looking forward to the lounge car. They would go nuts if they were confined to their seats.

You'll have a lot more room and ability to wander, than you would ever have in your car. The only place that you can't go is into the sleeping cars.

I would highly recommend taking at least one meal in the dining car too, just to break things up and for the experience or eating a cooked meal while moving at 80 MPH.

Actually I have one more question while one the subject of Reserved Coach. If we board in Philadelphia, with a destination of Orlando, does this in anyway determine which car we will be placed. Will the car have mostly people who won't be getting off right away? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks

In our experience riding Silver Star and Meteor, your destination does determine which coach you end up in, with long-distance passengers in different coaches from short-distance passengers. When the train arrives to pick you up, a crew member asks what your destination is and how many are in your party, and directs you to the appropriate coach entrance accordingly, or if you are at about the right coach, he or she will assign you the seats you are to use. He or she will usually have a card in hand that shows the seats currently unassigned and will make a mark on the card showing those seats as now assigned. . At some stations, where there is a large number of boarding passengers and more than a couple of minutes available to do it in, the conductor will go into the station and check-in the passengers at a desk or at the door. At most stations, though, they just stand at a coach door and the passengers just line up to board.

For short-distance passengers on SIlver Service (that is usually our category, traveling mostly from one place in Florida to another), they usually don't bother putting destination tags over the individual seats. I expect that in the long-distance-travel passenger areas, they are more likely to do that.

You are indeed allowed to roam the train, at least as far as the diner (for meals). Forward of the diner is off-limits to coach passengers, as that is where the sleeper cars are, which is only for first-class passengers. But from the lounge car on back, feel free to wander. I would recommend, though, that during short station stops, you remain seated either in the lounge (or the diner, if eating a meal), or in your assigned seats, as there will be passengers trying to either board or exit the train, and you could end up impeding that if you are wandering around then. Anything that impedes work at a station stop helps make the train late, which none of us wants!!.

The usual make-up of the Silver Star or Silver Meteor trains (in order) is: an engine, a baggage car, a dorm car (for the on-board service crew), two sleeping cars (for first class passengers), a diner, a lounge/cafe car (snack bar plus tables to munch at, play cards visit, or whatever), and then four coaches. Depending on season and passenger load (and car availability) it could have one more or one less baggage, sleeper or coach. The make-up of a particular train is called the "consist". Think of it as what combination and number of cars does a particular train "consist" of.

And have fun!!! We always do. :D

Back