RH&DR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCC1007

Customer Service Agent
Has anyone had any experience at the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway?

I've seen some videos online of it and was wondering if there would be a good place in the United States to have a similar railway, mile after mile of 15 inch gauge track with about a dozen steam locomotives in service pulling relatively fast passenger trains...

This a neat looking tourist line. It's a unique heritage operation dating from the early 20th century. I doubt if anyone would put up the money to recreate such a line here in the U.S.

Yes, one of my favorites. Definitely worth a visit. Not just for the line itself but also for the area. Especially the area around Dungeness is well worth exploring.

I don't think the line is extremely profitable but it is generating enough surplus to keep some investments going. It did struggle with close bankrupcy several times in its history but the present managment seem to have it under control.

One interesting feature are the school trains. The RH&DR succesfully undercut local bus companies in the tendering for schhols services and these trains are run with diesel engines and are presumably pretty efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back