Riding on the Cresent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XNWA

Service Attendant
I took a round trip on the Cresent on Mar. 10 from Atlanta-Birmingham-Atlanta.

I rode coach, was suprised to see 2 electrical outlets at knee level at each seat. I boarded #19 southbound running about 30 min late. We were informed the dinning car was closed because they were out of food, and the lounge car had very limited supply of breakfast items. The return trip on #20 was better but also running 30 to 40 minutes late. Over all it was a pretty good trip for my first real train trip since 1961, met and talked with lots of different passengers an crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a round trip on the Cresent on Mar. 10 from Atlanta-Birmingham-Atlanta.I rode coach, was suprised to see 2 electrical outlets at knee level at each seat. I boarded #19 southbound running about 30 min late. We were informed the dinning car was closed because they were out of food, and the lounge car had very limited supply of breakfast items. The return trip on #20 was better but also running 30 to 40 minutes late. Over all it was a pretty good trip for my first real train trip since 1961, met and talked with lots of different passengers an crew.
Am I reading correctly that #19 was out of food leaving Atlanta ??? That means no breakfast, lunch or dinner...something drastic must have happened such as the diner being bad ordered or the refrigeration went out. I just can't imagine they would run 600 miles without any food. Any ideas or reports from anybody else ?

I took a round trip on the Cresent on Mar. 10 from Atlanta-Birmingham-Atlanta.

I rode coach, was suprised to see 2 electrical outlets at knee level at each seat. I boarded #19 southbound running about 30 min late. We were informed the dinning car was closed because they were out of food, and the lounge car had very limited supply of breakfast items. The return trip on #20 was better but also running 30 to 40 minutes late. Over all it was a pretty good trip for my first real train trip since 1961, met and talked with lots of different passengers an crew.
Am I reading correctly that #19 was out of food leaving Atlanta ??? That means no breakfast, lunch or dinner...something drastic must have happened such as the diner being bad ordered or the refrigeration went out. I just can't imagine they would run 600 miles without any food. Any ideas or reports from anybody else ?
We were told by the conducter that they had run out of food. I did see them put food on in Birmingham.

As an Atlantan I have made that round trip on the Crescent many times. Sometimes spending the night, more often coming back the same day, if the southbound is not too late. It is a good way to get a quick "fix".

I have never had them run out of food.

Must, indeed, have been somethng special. Perhaps very crowded the night before?

As an Atlantan I have made that round trip on the Crescent many times. Sometimes spending the night, more often coming back the same day, if the southbound is not too late. It is a good way to get a quick "fix".

Must, indeed, have been somethng special. Perhaps very crowded the night before?
Yes Bill, the #19 had a good crowd on board, but I was able to have a seat to myself. The trip back on #20 was better, it was well stocked with food and the beer was cold. Had a good time talking with Richard, the lounge attendent.

Yes Bill, the #19 had a good crowd on board, but I was able to have a seat to myself. The trip back on #20 was better, it was well stocked with food and the beer was cold. Had a good time talking with Richard, the lounge attendent.
Apparently the freezers failed overnight, therefore the food was above 50 degrees and could not be used. Sleeper passengers were accommodated in the lounge for breakfast and given Subway sandwiches loaded in Birmingham for lunch and additional food was added in Meridian. Mechanical in New Orleans repaired the freezers for train #20 the next day.

Apparently the freezers failed overnight, therefore the food was above 50 degrees and could not be used. Sleeper passengers were accommodated in the lounge for breakfast and given Subway sandwiches loaded in Birmingham for lunch and additional food was added in Meridian. Mechanical in New Orleans repaired the freezers for train #20 the next day.
Yes as I stated I saw food borded in Birmingham, but they had nothing before Birmingham, the lounge only had breakfast bagels left when I went to the lounge.

Yes as I stated I saw food borded in Birmingham, but they had nothing before Birmingham, the lounge only had breakfast bagels left when I went to the lounge.
Were you in coach or sleepers?

Last edited:
Were you in coach or sleepers?
The original post answers that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back