Robbers Ride Rails in India

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
"Several dozen outlaws boarded the long-distance train to New Delhi early Friday and made their way to four air-conditioned sleeper carriages on the 17-car train, confident they would house the better-heeled passengers.

"Working swiftly, the scofflaws jolted sleepy passengers awake, beating any who resisted and relieving them of about $20,000 in valuables before escaping onto the dark plains.

"While this might sound like a scene from the Wild West, it remains a relatively common occurrence in India."

In India, train bandits prey on passengers

"[Ajit Kumar] Singh, of the Institute for Conflict Management, said a lack of coordination between police agencies, fighting between the state and central governments and weak national policy mean that armed train robberies are unlikely to end any time soon."

Hi,

I loved the full report where it stated that "It was decided to give police no guns, because the bandits kept stealing them from the officers".

One cannot argue with the logic!

Sadly, many interesting area's of the world are now becoming more risky to visit.. Bihar state in India was also the scene of deliberate derailings of express trains by "rebels".

However, I can't wait to visit India again and ride those trains from north to south, east to west.. maybe one of the thousands of Indian gods will protect me, not sure which deity covers trains and travel?

Cheers,

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back