Room Assignments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
I just booked a bedroom on the Auto Train for December. When I have made reservations before, the room number and car number were assigned and sent with the confirmation. However, this time there is no assigment being given. It just says 1 Bedroom. Is this a new policy or is something else going on? Will it be necessary to call for a room assignement? I don't want to get stuck with Room "A" if avoidable.

Thanks!

I just booked a bedroom on the Auto Train for December. When I have made reservations before, the room number and car number were assigned and sent with the confirmation. However, this time there is no assignment being given. It just says 1 Bedroom. Is this a new policy or is something else going on? Will it be necessary to call for a room assignment? I don't want to get stuck with Room "A" if avoidable.

Thanks!
Yes - this has come up more often recently.

You have to call an agent ask for the room info and I think they can then email it to you, again, with the room number. Don't know why they are not showing that info any longer.

I just booked a bedroom ...
I went thru this myself. Be a bit patent. You should get another email after a while (possibly even by now), which will contain your room assignment.

I had the same experience. They never sent my room numbers until I actually got my tickets. I ended up with a downstairs room(13) on the Sunset and room 6 on the Coast Starlight. I really did not want a downstairs room because of the restrooms being down there but that is what I ended up with and I made my actual reservation months in advance.

In order to get changeable reservations online we had to lose car and compartment information in our reservation emails.
Really? That's the reason? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get the logic.

BTW, CALL as soon as you can, so you DON'T get stuck with "A".

Really? That's the reason? I'm not doubting you, I just don't get the logic.
Well you should have doubted me because I pulled that answer out of... let's say "thin air." But it sounds as logical as anything else we've ever speculated on. Which is to say it makes no sense whatsoever. ;)

Is this true when you book with an agent? Are with talking only about the Auto Train? I have gone on 5 Amtrak trips since 2010 began and all have given me a room assignment verbally, and then on the reservation email, and then of course again on the tickets.

Is this true when you book with an agent? Are with talking only about the Auto Train? I have gone on 5 Amtrak trips since 2010 began and all have given me a room assignment verbally, and then on the reservation email, and then of course again on the tickets.
I am kind of picky when it comes to rooms, so when I book a sleeper trip, I use the website to check prices and determine days, but then actually book by phone. I sure hope the agent giving room numbers hasn't changed.

I booked online and thus cannot answer your question regarding verbal room assignment. This is the first time this has ever happened (just so happened it was the Auto Train) with any trips I booked online and that is what prompted my orginal question. From what others have posted it appears as though a phone call to an agent is required, which negates a major benefit of online booking!

. . . which negates a major benefit of on-line booking!
Unless you don't care which room you are in, or are not as savvy as many members of this forum who want to know. Imagine how many folks make a reservation and find out when they print their tickets what room they are in.

Are with talking only about the Auto Train?
I just made sleeper reservations for March 2011 on the City of New Orleans, and I noticed the same thing--no room numbers. Has anyone making recent sleeper reservations gotten those room numbers yet, by any means? :unsure:

I had wanted to make online reservations at one time and asked an agent some questions about doing it. I asked the agent if you could see the available rooms numbers online and she told me- no that only agents are able to "see" the room numbers available.

I had a big trip bak in Feb, CZ, CS, EB and Cardinal and when I booked, online, no rooms were listed. Same thing when I booked my CL, SWC and CS trip that I took last week, no room numbers. No idea what changed but they've been doing it this way since at least Christmas

So you don't see your room numbers til you pick up your tickets?

So the email you get after booking online is different from the one you get if you book with an agent?

Well, I called in March requesting Bedroom D on both the SWC and TE/SL and confirmed their availability. When I received my confirmation letter both the car number and Bedroom number was clearly displayed. Maybe, if you make your reservation on line, the system does not assign the actual room number until later. For me, I check online for availability and price and then call an agent since I am picky about what room is assigned. Whether Bedroom or Roomette, I simply prefer the "center" of the car.

Well, I called in March requesting Bedroom D on both the SWC and TE/SL and confirmed their availability. When I received my confirmation letter both the car number and Bedroom number was clearly displayed. Maybe, if you make your reservation on line, the system does not assign the actual room number until later. For me, I check online for availability and price and then call an agent since I am picky about what room is assigned. Whether Bedroom or Roomette, I simply prefer the "center" of the car.
That is exactly what I do, too.

This came up earlier this month, and as a result, I contacted Amtrak via their website asking why my reservation confirmation did not include an assigned bedroom. They replied within 24 hours with the car # as well as the Bedroom assignment.

It's unfortunate that Amtrak can't simply send this information automatically anymore. Instead we are forced to call them and they are forced to pay people to take our calls. But at least they're sticking to their reputation of wasting our time and their money.

I had a big trip bak in Feb, CZ, CS, EB and Cardinal and when I booked, online, no rooms were listed. Same thing when I booked my CL, SWC and CS trip that I took last week, no room numbers. No idea what changed but they've been doing it this way since at least Christmas
No, this hasn't been going on since Christmas. This is a much more recent issue than last Christmas. I'm on the Maple Leaf currently, so I don't recall precisely when I last booked a sleeper online and got the room number both in the emailed confirmation and displayed on the website as the booking completed, but it was at least March or April for sure. Slight chance it was May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back