Roomette Capacity - Unofficial (Newbie)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goldribbon

Question about round-trip cross-country (CA to DC) travel on Amtrak w/roomette:

My wife and I and 2 year old son are going to try Amtrak this summer. Based on occupancy requirements, the plan is to book my wife and son in a roomette, and me in coach. We cannot afford bedrooms and such - we can barely afford a roomette. My son is very well behaved (for 2).

1) I know the roommette is very small, but is there anything (an attendant/conductor) to stop me from spending time/sleeping with my wife in the roomette at night? We were hoping she would sleep with our son on the lower bunk, and me on the top bunk. Note that I will be paying full fare for everyone, it's just that there will be times (like at night or for meals) when I would like to be with them. I can't imagine amtrak would micromanage this but ...

2) Am I correct that there is a door on the roomette? Is it lockable?

Thanks!

You'll be fine, and not have to sneak back from coach to visit with your wife and kid. You'll be able to ride with them the whole time, and sleep in the sleeper. You can be with your family at all times. And don't forget: Dining car meals included. Dude, it'll be okay.

There's a door on the roomette, but it only locks from the inside.

My wife and I and 2 year old son are going to try Amtrak this summer. Based on occupancy requirements, the plan is to book my wife and son in a roomette, and me in coach. We cannot afford bedrooms and such - we can barely afford a roomette. My son is very well behaved (for 2).
Aloha

Not sure what the rules are, but suggest you check them, for "toddler". You may not need to ticket a child that young. I would wonder however, about the comfort, and safety, of a child sharing the same small bed, unless the adults are quite small. Some ware on this forum are links to the roomette dimensions. If this is correct while sleeping one partner, and/or, child could spend time in the lounge.

Aloha

Not sure what the rules are, but suggest you check them, for "toddler". You may not need to ticket a child that young. I would wonder however, about the comfort, and safety, of a child sharing the same small bed, unless the adults are quite small. Some ware on this forum are links to the roomette dimensions. If this is correct while sleeping one partner, and/or, child could spend time in the lounge.
Best option would probably be to have your son sleep in the lower bed with your wife--should be plenty of room since he's only 2.

You would sleep in the upper bunk. Floor space would be tight, but doable.

Question about round-trip cross-country (CA to DC) travel on Amtrak w/roomette:1) I know the roommette is very small, but is there anything (an attendant/conductor) to stop me from spending time/sleeping with my wife in the roomette at night?
Yes, you do not have a ticket sleeper ticket. And you will not be able to get meals included. So, book three.

Be forewarned - space is VERY tight. I know you say your two-year old is 'well behaved' but being confined in a 6-6x3-6 room for three days will bring out the worst in that young one. Take maximum advantage of any extended station stops. Bring a favorite toy or play some running games on the platform. We have thrown the football in the dark in St Louis before - and the crew even joined in a bit !!!. For naps, fold down the upper bunk. Plenty of room up there, OK room down low, but watch your head.

SO...keep monitoring the cost of a bedroom or family. I know you said you are worried about the price about that, but you might be surprised on the small difference (but double the room space at 6-6x7-6, with in-room facilities).

Remember, those prices also include a nice quiet room with beds and 15-ish meals EACH. Cheap if you ask me......

You sure can do it. And by the way, there is no reason not to book 3 people into the the Roomette. You pay once for the room charge, not a per-ticket upgrade fee. If you thought the prices were a per-ticket upgrade fee, they aren't. The only disadvantage would be not being able to have a seat for all three of you, although a toddler could probably sit on the step up to the upper bunk. Make sure your CHI to WAS is the Capitol Limited, btw.

There is a lounge on all Superliner trains that go from CA to CHI, except the slow-as-hell Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. The Capitol Limited to WAS is Superliner with a Lounge, as well. The other options (Lake Shore Limited-> Reigonal, and Cardnal) are not superliners, and they don't have much in the way of a "lounge", just two cars with diner-style bench seats. Take full advantage of the lounge. You'll be cramped in that Roomette.

As for feasibility... When I was 8 years old, My dad and I went from Chicago to New York on the Lake Shore Limited. We arrived into New York many many hours late. And we spent that time in a single room in a Slumbercoach.

Here is a diagram of a Slumbercoach Slumbercoach And here is a diagram of something like it on VIA's website: Single Bedroom

These things are so compact, they have them staggered at levels to fit more of them in. To lower the bed, you had to back out of the room using a curtain type thing so that you could do it in your underwear. They didn't have enough space for you to get changed once the bed was lowered. The room was so compact, the toilet would be covered when the bed was lowered. We sat and slept in this room for the entire journey, which ended up running to a tad over 30 hours. Was it comfortable? No. Was it doable? Yes.

SO...keep monitoring the cost of a bedroom or family. I know you said you are worried about the price about that, but you might be surprised on the small difference (but double the room space at 6-6x7-6, with in-room facilities).

Remember, those prices also include a nice quiet room with beds and 15-ish meals EACH. Cheap if you ask me......
Check the prices for a Bedroom/Family room EVERY DAY. I booked a roomette for a trip with my wife and I checked the prices everyday. For one day only the price of the Family Bedroom was cheaper than a roomette. The extra room is nice...perfect for 2 adults 2 small children. Have a great trip.

Perhaps Alan or someone else will have a for sure answer, but I am pretty sure that an Agent can book all three of you in a Roomette (only 2 meals paid for). I have been on several trains when the room beside or across from me had 3 people, usually it's one adult and 2 small children.

No matter what, I would book yourself and your wife in the sleeper, so you can get two adult meals paid for each night. I strongly reccomend speaking with an agent over the phone, if one agent says its not possible, try calling back and speaking with another agent, some workers have a better understanding of what can and can't be done (also more of willing attitude to please the customer!).

My opinion, after traveling many miles in a roomette is, you guys would be fine. The daytime can be spent visiting the lounge, and sleeping, as long as your o.k. with the two small beds deal, is very do-able.

You can't book it online, but you will have no problem booking two adults and one child into a roomette by calling. I've booked two children (ages 2 and 5) and myself into a roomette (less than a year ago)- we were quite comfortable (the five year old slept on top, the two year old and I slept below), and we were able to order three meals (the kids mostly got kids meals, which I felt less guilty about than if they wanted adult meals), though I gather this may have gotten tighter controls recently and you may only get two meals... fortunately adult meals are large and I, at least, wouldn't have found any problem sharing a meal with my two year old.

Unless you and your wife are both large people, one of you should be pretty comfortable sharing a seat with your child.

[also, a child booked into a sleeper has the right to order from the adult menu, so if you DID book only your wife and child into the roomette (don't do that, really!), you would still be able to get two adult meals included]

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't book it online, but you will have no problem booking two adults and one child into a roomette by calling. I've booked two children (ages 2 and 5) and myself into a roomette (less than a year ago)- we were quite comfortable (the five year old slept on top, the two year old and I slept below), and we were able to order three meals (the kids mostly got kids meals, which I felt less guilty about than if they wanted adult meals), though I gather this may have gotten tighter controls recently and you may only get two meals... fortunately adult meals are large and I, at least, wouldn't have found any problem sharing a meal with my two year old.
Unless you and your wife are both large people, one of you should be pretty comfortable sharing a seat with your child.

[also, a child booked into a sleeper has the right to order from the adult menu, so if you DID book only your wife and child into the roomette (don't do that, really!), you would still be able to get two adult meals included]
I wouldn't call Amtrak portions all that large. But I weigh 290 lbs and used to weigh 315, so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

Question about round-trip cross-country (CA to DC) travel on Amtrak w/roomette:1) I know the roommette is very small, but is there anything (an attendant/conductor) to stop me from spending time/sleeping with my wife in the roomette at night?
Yes, you do not have a ticket sleeper ticket. And you will not be able to get meals included. So, book three.

Be forewarned - space is VERY tight. I know you say your two-year old is 'well behaved' but being confined in a 6-6x3-6 room for three days will bring out the worst in that young one. Take maximum advantage of any extended station stops. Bring a favorite toy or play some running games on the platform. We have thrown the football in the dark in St Louis before - and the crew even joined in a bit !!!. For naps, fold down the upper bunk. Plenty of room up there, OK room down low, but watch your head.

I've seen a bedroom and a roomette at about the same price before, or maybe even the bedroom was cheaper, i forget now. I'd guess the lower roomette buckets had been sold, so the roomette was now up to its highest bucket and so close to the bedroom price.

Thanks everyone. I will definitely call Amtrak and see if I can't book all three in a roomette. After all, my son will only be 2 years and 2 months at the time of travel ... and my wife and I are 'average' size people.

The one thing I don't understand is when everyone says the bedroom could be the same price as the roomette ... the roomette for NorCal to DC in June (our plans) is like less than half a bedroom online. For one leg the bedroom appears to be 4x as much ... maybe the bedroom lower bucket sold out early???

Thanks everyone. I will definitely call Amtrak and see if I can't book all three in a roomette. After all, my son will only be 2 years and 2 months at the time of travel ... and my wife and I are 'average' size people.
The one thing I don't understand is when everyone says the bedroom could be the same price as the roomette ... the roomette for NorCal to DC in June (our plans) is like less than half a bedroom online. For one leg the bedroom appears to be 4x as much ... maybe the bedroom lower bucket sold out early???
That, and there are many more roomettes than bedrooms. Bedrooms can easily sell out quicker than roomettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back