Roomette St Louis to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckysBarn

Lead Service Attendant
I need to book a roomette from STL to NOL. Dates are very flexible, but the best I can find for the STL to CHI portion is the 322 Texas Eagle which is coach only. This is for an elderly aunt, who could probably manage riding in coach for nearly 6 hours. I'm using points for this trip so I want the most bang for the buck.

Any ideas how to get her on the #22? Again the dates are very flexible for next year. Thanks

A better way to do that trip is board the City of New Orleans at Carbondale, IL (CDL). There is a bus connection from St Louis to CDL. It is kind of late leaving STL at 11PM. The City comes through CDL about 2AM.

Yeah, we looked at that. She's 88 years old & will be travelling by herself. She's not frail, but still doesn't want to deal with the middle of the night bus trip.

I need to book a roomette from STL to NOL. Dates are very flexible, but the best I can find for the STL to CHI portion is the 322 Texas Eagle which is coach only. This is for an elderly aunt, who could probably manage riding in coach for nearly 6 hours. I'm using points for this trip so I want the most bang for the buck.

Any ideas how to get her on the #22? Again the dates are very flexible for next year. Thanks
Have you called AGR reservations directly yet and spoken to them? The AGR supervisors can sometimes allow reservations that ARROW will not. I wanted a certain routing on an award trip a few months ago (LAX-NOL on #4-#59) that the computer wouldn't do, but the rep got the supervisor to override it. Politeness and patience won out! Good luck to you.

22/322/422 are all one train. The 422 cars operate LAX-CHI three days per week, the 22 cars operate SAS-CHI seven days a week and the 322 car is a coach added in STL, operating to CHI. You can buy sleeper space STL-CHI on 22 or 422. I've done it many times.

You might consider a lower level coach seat for the trip up to Chicago. These seats are much quieter than upper level coach, and do not require negotiating the narrow, steep and winding stairs to the upper level of the train. The chair car attendant will bring meals or snacks to lower level coach passengers at their seats. A tip is generally expected for this extra service.

Your aunt's sleeper ticket on 59 that evening will allow her access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, where she can check her luggage and relax. Complimentary snacks and beverages are provided. RedCaps are available in Chicago and can take your aunt and her bags directly to the Lounge.

Amtrak's web site tries forces train #322, the extra coach STL to CHI, assuming that the desired accommodation is coach. It blocks through train #22 to keep the through train open for long distance bookings. That is why you can't see train #22 when trying to book STL>NOL via CHI.

A work-around is to book the trip using the "multi-city" tool. Select STL>CHI as your first segment, and CHI>NOL as your second. You will then see train #22 with coach seats "sold out" (really blocked). However, you will be able to add a room for #22. When you select the room, #22 opens for booking. That, combined with a room CHI>NOL on train #59 will get you what you want - a room STL>CHI>NOL.

Train #22 connecting to #59 at CHI is a guaranteed connection, and the multi-city option provides the same fare as the one-way booking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! I knew someone would either know a work around and/or the reason the sleeper option wasn't showing on the direct route. Now I'll be armed with information when I call AGR to make the reservation.

I would just book a Lower Level Coach Seat for the 322. It may actually be better than having to walk upstairs to most of the Roomettes. You could save the AGR for next time.

I would just book a Lower Level Coach Seat for the 322. It may actually be better than having to walk upstairs to most of the Roomettes. You could save the AGR for next time.
What??? The AGR redemption for STL to NOL is the same points as CHI to NOL. You are not saving any points, and you have to pay for the coach trip STL to CHI.

If you use the multi-city option it gives you train 22 and 422 options. Remember the roomettes might be sold out on the date you request. I just randomly selected a date and it had a 422 roomette open but no bedrooms. 22 was sold out.

What??? The AGR redemption for STL to NOL is the same points as CHI to NOL. You are not saving any points, and you have to pay for the coach trip STL to CHI.
You don't understand. I mean to save ALL the AGR points.

You don't understand. I mean to save ALL the AGR points.
Why on earth would Becky want to pay for her Aunt to go all the way to New Orleans in a sleeper? And she's already stated that her Aunt can't do the entire trip in coach.

So if it costs 15,000 points for her to send her Aunt from St. Louis to New Orleans via Chicago and it would cost the same 15,000 points if she pays for St. Louis to Chicago and then uses points Chicago to New Orleans, why on earth would she want to pay? She's not going to save any points unless she pays for the entire trip. And that doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back