Rooms - Lower/Upper Location

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a lurker for a while, and I thought at one time I found an actual layout of a consist with room numbers, but for the life of me I can't find it now. :(

Specifically, were going to be traveling on Texas Eagle, Superliner Roomette 6 In Car 2130. We bought so long ago that now we don't even remember if that was the lower or upper level. CRS setting in.

I've been a lurker for a while, and I thought at one time I found an actual layout of a consist with room numbers, but for the life of me I can't find it now. :(
Specifically, were going to be traveling on Texas Eagle, Superliner Roomette 6 In Car 2130. We bought so long ago that now we don't even remember if that was the lower or upper level. CRS setting in.
I am a newbie on here, too. Believe it or not I also am taking the Texas Eagle...in the same roomette 6 and Car 2130! I go in August. The room is upper level.

Here is the link I think you are looking for: Sleeping Car Layout from Train Web

I am a newbie on here, too. Believe it or not I also am taking the Texas Eagle...in the same roomette 6 and Car 2130! I go in August. The room is upper level.

Here is the link I think you are looking for: Sleeping Car Layout from Train Web
If this were on the same date, it could get very interesting!

If this were on the same date, it could get very interesting!
Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forum about "rail-pooling" - sharing sleepers to save $$$ ?? Maybe Amtrak DOES read our forum ;)

Wow! This is spooky, Wife and I just traveled on the Texas Eagle. Room #6 2130 car. We left it in good condition for you :p Hope you get our car man, Lonnie. He was great!

Railroad Bill
:) Wow - popular CAR/ROOM !

I'll also be traveling with my wife, Texas to Ca. She's asking - how crowded is this car, meaning - is she gonna have to get up extra early to shower? :)

Wow! This is spooky, Wife and I just traveled on the Texas Eagle. Room #6 2130 car. We left it in good condition for you :p Hope you get our car man, Lonnie. He was great!

Railroad Bill
Correct me if I'm wrong, AFAIK two parties being in room 6 on car 2130 doesn't mean that they were in the same actual room. There can be x number of 6/2130's on separate cars depending on how many consists it takes operate a particular route.

Railroad Bill
Correct me if I'm wrong, AFAIK two parties being in room 6 on car 2130 doesn't mean that they were in the same actual room. There can be x number of 6/2130's on separate cars depending on how many consists it takes operate a particular route.
Yes they are on a rotation they are the same room and car number in the reservation system. Its up to fate (equiment rotation) to decide if its actually the same car and room.

Room 6 will be on the upper level of the car. You can view the layout here thanks to Friends of Amtrak.
I was room 5 on Sunset Ltd 1 this past weekend which was upstairs. I prefer it because it was same level as connection to the rest of the train and the coffee is on that level. Only one toilet on upper level which was nice. Too many doors opening and closing downstairs (3 toilets (if I recall) and the shower). Plus the exit at the stations is on the lower level too.

On the flip side, the shower room is also on the lower level, so if you're planning on using it, it's easy to see when it's free. Also there is less traffic on the lower level from passengers farther back in the train wandering through. Don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it does seem that the ceiling is a bit lower in the bottom rooms than the top rooms, though...

Don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it does seem that the ceiling is a bit lower in the bottom rooms than the top rooms, though...
Actually I've always felt the opposite, that there is a bit more room in the top bunk when in a lower level roomette. Especially since the ceiling is flat, unlike the curve one has on the upper level.

Railroad Bill
I am very curious. How did you like the room? And how was your guys trip?

You always want the upper floor... if you can get it.

Roomette #6 is on the upper level. For future reference roomettes 1-10 are on the upper level, and 11 - 14 are on the lower level.

Avoid the lower level... it's dark and being so close to the tracks there is more noise...

Hope this helps... have a great trip.

You always want the upper floor... if you can get it.

Roomette #6 is on the upper level. For future reference roomettes 1-10 are on the upper level, and 11 - 14 are on the lower level.

Avoid the lower level... it's dark and being so close to the tracks there is more noise...

Hope this helps... have a great trip.
Aloha

except for the "Dark" comment I agree, but dont find the noise too bad and there is a little less sway on the lower level should that be important.

I was in Roomette # 9 on the car attached to the transdorm. The attendant said it was cool if I used the upstairs shower on the transdorm. Was convenient & always open! I guess it didn't matter, since my SCA had the transdorm too!!!

Don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it does seem that the ceiling is a bit lower in the bottom rooms than the top rooms, though...
Actually I've always felt the opposite, that there is a bit more room in the top bunk when in a lower level roomette. Especially since the ceiling is flat, unlike the curve one has on the upper level.
I agree with Alan. I prefer lower level roomettes. I feel there is more room on the upper bunk on the lower level than on the upper level.

I also think it is quieter downstairs and the ride is a bit smoother. I prefer the Viewliner roomettes over the Superliners. The Viewliner

roomettes seem a bit larger than the Superliners. I'm in roomette number 6 next week - on the California Zephyr!!

I was in Roomette #6 on Empire Builder #7 to Seattle over the Memorial Day weekend. I had the opportunity, also, to visit the family room on the lower level of the same car. I was traveling solo. Though there may be more 'head room' re: the upper sleeping berth in the rooms on the lower level - what one gains with that is cancelled-out by the better views of the passing countryside one has riding on the upper level. I probably would not have had as enjoyable a journey had I traveled in a lower-level roomette.

This past weekend I took the Coast Starlight Northbound. I had roomette 8 and loved it. It was the closest car to the crew car so there was very little foot traffic/noise. As for comments about motion sickness/sway...I was not bothered at all, despite the fact that I do get car sick, seasick.

I originally was scheduled for a lower roomette, but changed and was glad I did. When the bathroom upstairs was busy, I went downstairs. Everyone of them was filthy/disgusting. I don't know if they were broken or if they are only cleaned when they reach Seattle...but I could not imagine sleeping down there in such close proximity to them.

When the bathroom upstairs was busy, I went downstairs. Everyone of them was filthy/disgusting. I don't know if they were broken or if they are only cleaned when they reach Seattle...but I could not imagine sleeping down there in such close proximity to them.
Sounds like you had a combination of some very messy fellow passengers and an attendant who wasn't doing his/her job properly.

Does Amtrak do the follow-up customer comment cards that ask questions about your experience and you rate it from poor to very good like some other businesses use? If not maybe they should.

I have gotten them from hotels from time to time asking me to fill them out after my visit. You see them in restaurants also.

Does Amtrak do the follow-up customer comment cards that ask questions about your experience and you rate it from poor to very good like some other businesses use? If not maybe they should. I have gotten them from hotels from time to time asking me to fill them out after my visit. You see them in restaurants also.
Over the years I have received a short survey from Amtrak about a trip I had taken. Don't know if they still do that or not. I haven't gotten one in a couple of years.

Does Amtrak do the follow-up customer comment cards that ask questions about your experience and you rate it from poor to very good like some other businesses use? If not maybe they should. I have gotten them from hotels from time to time asking me to fill them out after my visit. You see them in restaurants also.
No, but they have an online survey that does ask tohose types of questions. You have to complete the survey within 3 days of travel. You are also entered into a $500 drawing, that one member here won a while ago.

No, but they have an online survey that does ask tohose types of questions. You have to complete the survey within 3 days of travel. You are also entered into a $500 drawing, that one member here won a while ago.
Where do you find such a survey?

Where do you find such a survey?
I believe the address is shown on your ticket, At the moment I don't have it.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back