Rough Day for the Crescents - 19(5/4) and 20(5/4) both hit objects

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
According to posts on trainorders, both 19(4) and 20(4) have hit objects on the rails, a car and a tree respectively. 20 is said to have needed to swap the two engines, no idea what has been done or will be done with 19, but both are stopped on either side of Clemson, SC - 20 to the west near Newry, 19 to the east near Liberty.

20(4) is 15'57' down at CLP. At least they're safe and still moving...albeit with a freight engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes... 19(4) lost another five hours of travel time somewhere after Tuscaloosa, making it 8+ hours down and a pre-4:00am arrival time into New Orleans. Ouch.

Diner on 19(4) was damaged enough that it wasn't able to turn with the set for today's 20(6)

20 (6) left NOL almost 5 hours late, and now it's running 9+ hours late. If I had the time, I'd ride the very late consist to see the trip that normally occurs after dark. I'm sure those on board are not enthused.

Been on the Crescent once in this type of situation. Went to sleep on 19 just after Charlottesville, and woke up the next morning (daylight)... in Danville. Slow orders due to flash flooding and a downed tree on the track ahead conspired to put us 8+ hours down by the time we reached NC. All of the NC and SC stations were in daylight, with Atlanta in late afternoon sun and full darkness by Birmingham. Arrived in NOL around 5AM.

Yikes... 19(4) lost another five hours of travel time somewhere after Tuscaloosa, making it 8+ hours down and a pre-4:00am arrival time into New Orleans. Ouch.
I was on that train!

After the overnight car-hit incident, we departed ATL 4 hours late, maintained that delay until coming to an abrupt stop in the boondoggles ~50 miles north of Meridian, MS around 6pm. Apparently a freight train ahead of us broke down on a bridge and it took them more than 4 hours to get that sorted. We started only around 10pm and reached NOL at 4.55am, a wonderful 9 hours 20 minutes behind schedule!

I must say though, big shoutout to the Amtrak crew for being excellent during this delay. They did a full dinner service, kept the cafe open to keep people fed (and more importantly get them drunk to sit through the delay lol) and kept us well informed. During the stop, they realized the crew will time-out so proactively brought in next crew from Meridian and kept them ready to swap out. They also did the mandatory brake testing with new crew while we were waiting to save time when the line opens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness. My sister first time riding this long and all that needs to happen is a nine hour layover. Can not get any of my family to ride anymore. Feel so sad about that. People on Amtrak so nice but sometimes in Sleeper feel a little lonesome. The first time riding,big pow wow after Atlanta people got on,Stayed up and laughed and talked til late.Last time went to observation car and bunch of people looked like they were trying to hook up. Wow.lol

The first time riding,big pow wow after Atlanta people got on,Stayed up and laughed and talked til late.Last time went to observation car and bunch of people looked like they were trying to hook up. Wow.lol
I can tell you all of that happened on the 9 hour delayed Crescent. The cafe car ran out of all alcohol! Without going into the details, I'd say things got quite ahem interesting in the cafe-lounge at night ;)

Back