Rough Summer for the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner

Train Attendant
It's been a rather rough summer for the California Zephyr and it's passengers. The CZ has either been severely delayed or detoured most of the Summer due to a very rainy season in Iowa. Two and a half feet of rain is crazy! From slow orders (soft track beds) to fallen trees and washouts, Amtrak has had to pay a pretty penny for those inconvenienced. They have had to pay for hotels, cab, and meals, when passengers do not meet their connections. Not to mention, the bus fares to get those passengers to their destinations. It's really too bad, considering Amtrak is seeing an increase in ridership over the years and it's a great way to travel.

Not to mention when #6 left Emeryville on 7/30, they left the dining car staff and lounge car attendant behind, as they were involved in a minor traffic accident and missed the train. Lunch was KFC for the sleepers, dinner was deli sandwiches for the entire train (no charge to coach pax). They flew in staff from L.A. and Seattle, met us in Reno, and full dining service commenced the next morning.

Dang near missed our Chicago connection to the CL, but we made it by the skin of our teeth, transferring from #6 to #30 on the platform as CUS.

I'm going to think hard about taking another x-country trip in late July and August again. The trains were packed, and the weather not cooperative. Too hot and humid for me too, I'm not used to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention when #6 left Emeryville on 7/30, they left the dining car staff and lounge car attendant behind, as they were involved in a minor traffic accident and missed the train. Lunch was KFC for the sleepers, dinner was deli sandwiches for the entire train (no charge to coach pax). They flew in staff from L.A. and Seattle, met us in Reno, and full dining service commenced the next morning.

Dang near missed our Chicago connection to the CL, but we made it by the skin of our teeth, transferring from #6 to #30 on the platform as CUS.

I'm going to think hard about taking another x-country trip in late July and August again. The trains were packed, and the weather not cooperative. Too hot and humid for me too, I'm not used to that.
Hate to say it but no one should want to leave Petaluma in the summer! It's truly God's Country this time of year!

As another post on here earlier stated, "it's the journey, not the destination". I'll be on the CZ #5 next week all the way from CHI-EMY and I'm glad I've been here on the forum. It's given me a "roll with the punches" attitude that I may not have otherwise had. I have a tendency to be a high strung type A person, so I'll need to turn that off and just enjoy whatever adventure Amtrak decides to throw at me.

Approximately how late has the #5 been getting into EMY? I have plans for my best friend to meet me at the CalTrain station when he gets out of work, which according to the thruway bus schedule looks like 5:30-6:00PM. Perhaps I shuld tell him to work the 3-midnight shift that day? :(

Yes, #6's lateness into CHI is mostly due to the unreal rains we've been receiving here in Iowa. I have already tried engaging in pre-emptive discussions with a couple ticket agents for our Oct trip east. As it stands now, we would not have made any CZ to Cardinal connections in the last four weeks. With seven weeks to our departure from Mt Pleasant, I don't see anything to indicate to me that on time performance will comfortably improve. The agents really don't get it and want me to come up with extra coin to drop down to Fort Madison and grab the Cheif. I also have the option of utilizing Galesburg (just as far a drive for me as FMD) and hopping on #380 in the early morning. All agents I have talked to generally cut me off early in the conversation by saying "If what you say is true, (4 weeks of missed connections) Amtrak would quit offering the connection." Um, OK thanks. I just DON'T want to be bussed from Galesburg, Il to Indianapolis, IN to catch up with the Cardinal, which is what I feel Amtrak would do. Still working through it. My agent in Mt Pleasant will probably come through with something for me. Just kind of frustrating when I'm actually trying to SAVE Amtrak some money! :wacko:

As much as I love trains and LD trips have to agree, why would anyone leave the Napa/Sonoma/Petaluma area in the summer, save that for fall/winter and Spring when the grapes are resting!We just returned from our annual summer trip to California and as much as we enjoyed the trains and the scenery wish I had stayed the summmer or even better could afford to live there! :wub:

I'm also taking the Zephyr eastbound in October (get on in Denver) and immediately boarding the Capitol Limited to DC. I sure hope the waters of Iowa will subside enough by then.

Hate to say it but no one should want to leave Petaluma in the summer! It's truly God's Country this time of year!
Sooo glad to be home!

As much as I love trains and LD trips have to agree, why would anyone leave the Napa/Sonoma/Petaluma area in the summer, save that for fall/winter and Spring when the grapes are resting!We just returned from our annual summer trip to California and as much as we enjoyed the trains and the scenery wish I had stayed the summmer or even better could afford to live there! :wub:
Answer:

I'm an idiot. :wacko:

Answer:

I'm an idiot. :wacko:
Well, that explains the loco suffix to Petaluma! But it's all fun as long as you are going round=trip! :lol:

As another post on here earlier stated, "it's the journey, not the destination". I'll be on the CZ #5 next week all the way from CHI-EMY and I'm glad I've been here on the forum. It's given me a "roll with the punches" attitude that I may not have otherwise had. I have a tendency to be a high strung type A person, so I'll need to turn that off and just enjoy whatever adventure Amtrak decides to throw at me.

Approximately how late has the #5 been getting into EMY? I have plans for my best friend to meet me at the CalTrain station when he gets out of work, which according to the thruway bus schedule looks like 5:30-6:00PM. Perhaps I shuld tell him to work the 3-midnight shift that day? :(
It seems like it is improving both ways over than the past few weeks. I watch the #5 & #6 daily here. You can also go to amtrak.com & check status there or call them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back