Rouses Point, NY Station Parking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transit54

Conductor
I was wondering if anyone might happen to know if there's parking available at the Rouses Point, NY station on the Adirondack line. Every time I've taken the Adirondack, I've just taken the ferry across the lake from Burlington and hopped on at Port Kent. However, its the middle of the winter and the ferry isn't running. A friend and I are planning to go to Montreal and want to save on the hassle and parking fees of driving into Montreal and take the train instead. Our plan is to drive to Rouses Point, park, take the train up on a Friday evening and then take it back Sunday morning.

Does anyone know if parking is available at the station and what the procedure would be? I've never been to the station, other than passing through southbound one time and I don't remember anything.

Thanks!

I have parked at station before, you should not have any issue. I have also stayed down the street at the hotel and gone from there.

Just curious, do southbound passengers who are ticketed to Rouses Point have to wait until the entire train is cleared by customs, or can they simply

get off as soon as they, personally, are cleared? Seems like a potentially frustratingly long wait when you're already at your destination.

MrEd, thanks for feedback. That's good to know.

Fairviewroad, IIRC everyone needs to wait until the entire train is cleared. I believe the train stops short of the Rouse's Point station for clearance and then once customs has cleared the train, it pulls forward a few hundred feet into the station. However, if it turns out to be any different, I'll let you know.

MrEd, thanks for feedback. That's good to know.

Fairviewroad, IIRC everyone needs to wait until the entire train is cleared. I believe the train stops short of the Rouse's Point station for clearance and then once customs has cleared the train, it pulls forward a few hundred feet into the station. However, if it turns out to be any different, I'll let you know.
Does this also applies for passengers destined Niagara Falls, ON?

Does this also applies for passengers destined Niagara Falls, ON?
Yes. When I was on the Maple Leaf, they parked the train at/very near the station, but one could not disembark until the customs inspection was complete. In fact, during the inspection you must remain seated at all times - no one is permitted to get up to access bags, go to the bathroom, etc. This was the same procedure for the Adirondack. We had some time left over afterwards and I remember being able to get out and walk around before the train was ready depart.

RF:

Am-Can Motel, Bridge Rd, Rouses Point, NY 12979, (518-297-6394) , Official motel for border crossing guards.

There are 3 hotels, none very good, based on my experience, but all 3 within 1 mile of train "station".

years ago they used the larger D&H building, but then took over the old imigration building.

There are PLENTY of parking at the Rouses Point location. The dirt lot might hld 50-60 cars and is rarely used.It is right in back of the old terminal (soon to be refurbished).

Is it safe to park at rouses point for 4 days? Pretty scared that the long term parking is free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back