route to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edward E. Blazer

How do I find a train route and connection from Atlanta, GA to Chicago, Il.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

There has not been any direct service from ATL to CHI for over 30 years, sad to say. (And it goes back before Amtrak, about 1969). Amtrak dates from 1971.

There is a huge missing link in our national system and it is one from Chicago to Atlanta to Florida.

But enough of that.

To answer your question, you do one of two things, one, take the "Crescent" overnight to Washington ,change there to the "Capital Limited" overnight to Chicago. You can get exact info from the Amtrak. site.

A second option is to take a plane or bus to Memphis and take the "City of New Orleans' overnight from there to CHI. It is a long, boring bus ride from ATL to MEM but I have done it, and it is one night quicker. than going via Washington.

Well without looking anything up you could go via....

1) Atlanta - New Orleans - Chicago

2) Atlanta - Philadelphia - Chicago

3) Atlanta - Washington DC - Chicago

#3 is probably your best bet in my opinion. But let some others give you some input too since I have never rode on the Crescent, which is the train that serves Atlanta. A gentlemen by the name of Bill that is a regular on this forum probably could give you very good information for your trip.

That is an interesting option amtrakmichigan gave you about going from ATL to New Orleans to Chicago. That would be a fun trip, alright.It would be a day trip ATl to NO spend the night there, and then take the train overnight from NO to CHI. All of those all--rail options take two nights and one day.(including, also, the one mentioned about changing in Philly)

Combining it with the bus or plane to MEM(which may sound kind of disloyal, coming from me, avid railfan than I am) is actually the quickest, one day and one night.

I have always been known to fit planes or buses into my itinerary when it genuinely served a need.

In case you are confused about one train which keeps appearing here, it is THe Crescent, which operates from New York to New Orleans via Philly, Washington, Atl, etc, so we are talking about the same train here for those portions of your trip.

Bill,

Thanks so much. I usually fly, but after my last experience at the ATL airport going to Italy in April, I became discouraged with the extreme long lines just to check in to Delta and decided to look at train travel in the US.

I really enjoy the European trains. What a pleasure! So, your advice is much appreciated, as well as the interesting idea of going through New Orleans.

Do you know Dante, our local Restauranteur in Atlanta, who lives in a train?

Best regards,

Ed Blazer

eblazer said:
Bill,
T

Do you know Dante, our local Restauranteur in Atlanta, who lives in a train?

Best regards,

Ed Blazer
I do not know him personally but am aware of him. As I understand it, his two passions in life are trains and..........crocodiles!! And that he used to keep them, (crocodiles, that is, not trains) at his restaurant near Lenox Square.

eblazer, too bad, too bad, that we can't offer you any better than this.

I remember a time when you could board a train called the "Georgian" in ATL at 6 pm. every night at one of the two old downtown stations, (long since torn down), near what is today the CNN center, or the Journal/Constitution. You would eat dinner on the train, sleep (or try to), eat breakfast the next morning arrive in Chicago at 8.25 a.m. Similar schedule southbound.

Very good for the business traveler. And if business could be conducted in one day,it saved the cost foa hotel, you were, in fact, using the train as your hotel in each direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back