Runaway VRE Locomotive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penn Central

Train Attendant
Murphy's Law always seems to treat VRE well :D . Every time something like this happens, there's never any major injuries or lawsuits, and everyone soon forgets it ever happpened. Now if only Amtrak had that kind of luck...

The Virginia Railway Express locomotive that rolled through the Fredericksburg area two weeks ago was unlike any other.
First, it pulled no cars.

But, even more unusual, no one was driving it.

The unoccupied, 118-ton engine was under repair in Spotsylvania County when it took off for a six-mile run on the CSX main line before it was stopped in southern Stafford County. It reached a top speed of 40 mph.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/200...10102007/323732

Accidents happen. Not make light of the situation but when 118 tons hit the fan it can get very smelly. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Not to downgrade what Dutch put in but I think 30 days will be a little light if their urine and/or blood tests come back positive. (if indeed any were taken and I think a violation of main line authority justifies a test.) Someone mentioned filing a class action suit on another website. I think there's about as much merit to that as Elvis showing up to sign up.

Having a locomitve enter the main without authority, is same violation as going by a red signal.

And as long as its a first offence, I do not doubt these guys are not in habbit of letting engines roll away.

The FRA guidelines for a red signal violation is 30 days, split by 15 days on street and 15 days remedial training (without authority to operate a locomotive), something they did not or are not suppose to do anyway.

So the Machinist union should have them back somewhere between 15 and 30 days, or Amtrak could face a court action for excessive punishment.

Would the result be the same if it HAD caused a disaster?
As for railroad yes, same punishment, as for civil procedures the employees could have been held liable including dead though negligence if applicable.

Then if found guilty the railroad could dismiss them for having a crimminal record and being hazourdous to job. But the law and federal rules do not deal in would have/could have. just the facts ma'm

Back