SAC to SAN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've experienced train travel years ago, and enjoyed it immensely. My son is stationed in San Diego. I have a new granddaughter I'd like to see and I'm taking my 7 year 'old' granddaughter with me. I've been over every square inch of the website but I know there must be tidbits of information that would help us get the most out of our trip. We will take the San Joaquine down and the Coast Starlight back. This will be mid May.

I know there must be little tricks and a rules that it would be helpful to know. I'd really appreciate some advice, or tales of the rail that you might like to share. Thanks in advance!

Kathi

I have taken the San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight trains numerous times before so I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Generally the San Joaquins and Pacific Surfliners run on time or pretty close to it, while you should expect the Coast Starlight to get you into Sacramento at least a few hours late on your return trip.

Amtrak describes the Starlight train as "a progressive party that connects the hottest cities on America's west coast." The southbound "party" rolled into Oakland-Jack London Square's Amtrak Station about six hours late Monday and delayed the departure of my local Capitol Corridor train by nearly an hour while it sat there switching private cars on and off the rear. As long as you have some (well, a lot) of patience for this sort of stuff you will enjoy your trip aboard this train. The scenery is, as Amtrak puts it, unparalleled.

I am sure others will chime in with some comments.

Spend the day and take the coast starlight with a roomette, it will be about 150 one way if you can get the lowest fare, but well worth it. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, wine tastings, movie theater car (palour car) (shower, bed) all included. I've been taking this train from bay area to san diego every few months for the past 10 years or so. This is as close to an old time railroad experience as you can get nowadays. As of last week the last time I took it the service is still top notch, minus the delays caused by Union Pacific who owns the tracks...

If your sons in or north of lajolla consider the solana beach station, train gets in almost 45 mins earlier, 12am vs 1245am, the drive is only 10 mins but the tracks are laid in such a way that its not a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back