Sacramento, CA Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
Thinking of planning a round trip from Chicago to Sacramento. This being our first trip to Sacramento and after googling the station and the area around the station we have a couple of question in regards to trains 5 & 6.

Do you get off train 5 and get on train 6 from approximately same location or do you cross over tracks ?

Also it appears that the main station is a ways from the boarding location. Can two healthy adults walk that distance with a couple of suitcases and do you cross a highway/freeway to get to the main station or is there a bridge or tunnel that you walk through?

With all of this, can a person then walk to the Vagabond Inn from the station and is the area fairly secure during the day ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

M.J.S.

1) 5 and 6 board and detrain in the same area of the platform.

2) There is a tunnel under which you walk through to reach the station. I don't find it to be a problem but some might. There are carts available on which you can catch a ride as well.

3)The walk to the Vagabond is an easy one,at least for me, and while there are homeless folks in the area, I have found it safe.

Enjoy!
default_smile.png
The Zephyr is one of my favorite trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to JayPeas info, the Great California Rail Museum is next door to the Station and the Vagabond Inn.

Next door to the Museum is Old Sacramento, a touristy but fun place, located on the Sacramento River.

The tunnel emerges some distance from the station. Using Google Earth or Google Maps in satellite mode one can see the covered walkway portion of the walk.

From the tunnel ramps go up to each boarding location so people don't have to cross tracks to board.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sacramento,+CA/@38.5853771,-121.4998051,296m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x809ac672b28397f9:0x921f6aaa74197fdb!8m2!3d38.5815719!4d-121.4943996

There is Red Cap service in Sacramento. One can get a ride to/from the platform to the station.

It is customary to tip the Red Cap.

The walkway portion is some 675 feet long to/from the station back door. The tunnel segment is 180 to 200 feet, not counting the ramps up to the platforms.

After crossing the street on your way to the Vagabond, you should be able to take a shortcut by sliding open the vehicle access gate located toward the right side of the surrounding fence and walking straight to the front door. That shortcut avoids the steps around the corner leading down to the level of the front door. But I don't know if that gate can slid open at all times.

I have used Sacramento station many times, so I know a bit. All LD trains in and out of SAC use Platform 5 (Trains 5, 6, 11, and 14), and State Supported trains use platforms 3, 4, and 6.
Except when they change the tracks.
default_wink.png
Just saying because right now the eastbound and westbound trains are going into my home station on opposite tracks. And I've seen them play musical tracks in the past. But, yeah, MOST of the time it's easy to know which track they'll come in on.

There are electronic signs in the tunnel telling you which train is on which track, and which ramp to walk up. Don't worry about track numbers.

I have used Sacramento station many times, so I know a bit. All LD trains in and out of SAC use Platform 5 (Trains 5, 6, 11, and 14), and State Supported trains use platforms 3, 4, and 6.
default_wink.png
Just saying because right now the eastbound and westbound trains are going into my home station on opposite tracks. And I've seen them play musical tracks in the past. But, yeah, MOST of the time it's easy to know which track they'll come in on.
All the time when I boarded or detrained the California Zephyr and the Coast Starlight it always came into Track 5. I have yet to see these trains play the musical tracks.

default_wink.png
All the time when I boarded or detrained the California Zephyr and the Coast Starlight it always came into Track 5. I have yet to see these trains play the musical tracks.
From http://subwaynut.com/california/amtrak/sacramento/index.php

The new modern platforms consist of two island platforms each for two through tracks. These are numbered 3, 4, 5 and 6 with directions E and W indicated for the shorter California Car trainsets used by the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin. During overnight hours when trains layover in the station trains will double up with two trains sharing the same track. The station departure monitors will display 6E or 6W, for example. The long-distance Coast Starlight and California Zephyr take up an entire platform and normally stop on one of the middle tracks 4 and 5 because these have a wide service platform in between them (complete with trash dumpsters) so trains can be serviced (particularly the Coast Starlight) without inconveniencing passengers.

You alight and leave the platform through the station pedestrian underpass. This is quite safe and convenient. The underpass emerges towards the rear of the station building. There is one small road to cross, used mainly by Amtrak bus service. Go ahead through the station and exit at the front doors. Walk straight ahead across the car park to the kerbside. Cross the road and the Vagabond hotel is on your right.

I estimate a 5 minute walk from the station exit to the hotel.

Ed.

After such a long journey, I suggest treating yourself to the redcap cart to the station. Yes, it's walkable, but the cart is convenient, and you've got another walk to your hotel at the other end.

Because pictures are usually worth a thousand words, get a sense of the area by viewing it on Google Earth. Forget all the blather about track numbers: you'll get off the train at whatever track the train stops at; you'll get on the next train at whatever track the train is stopped at. Simple. So simple even a Finnlander from the swamps of the UP can do it!

The California state railroad museum is well worth a visit https://www.californiarailroad.museum/ and it's about a 10 minute walk from the Vagabond.

After such a long journey, I suggest treating yourself to the redcap cart to the station. Yes, it's walkable, but the cart is convenient, and you've got another walk to your hotel at the other end.
After such a long journey, some of us are glad to have 10 minutes standing up and walking!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
That's a good point, Ed! I was thinking of them having to carry luggage, but a walk after all those hours sitting might be just right!
default_smile.png

Back