Sacramento on New Year's Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
We'll have about 5 hours to kill in Sacramento on New Year's Day, roughly between 6 am and 11 am, while waiting for a connection from a southbound CS to eastbound CZ. All museums I checked are closed. Are there any suggestions of interesting things to do near the train station? Thanks!

There's a Starbucks right up the street and an old Denny's ( can't think of the New Name) behind the Vagabond Inn that'sacross the Street from the Amtrak Station, but other than that Sacramento will be pretty dead on a Holiday!

Consider buying a RT Coach ticket from SAC-DAV-SAC ( if no-one has booked your room you should be able to stay in it, and occupy it when boarding in DAV/ its only a 15-20 min ride on the CS to Davis.) It's a much more pleasant place to wait for your train than the SAC Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sacramento is a government town. Most of the area serves state, county, city, and even federal government facilities. There's a jail nearby, so they have a few bail bonds services open. Other than that the businesses tend to close on weekends and holidays.

I'm not sure about the Downtown Plaza mall. I thought most of it was torn down to build the new arena. Maybe you can check out the construction there?

There might be stuff at Old Sacramento open. You could walk along the river.

It's going to be very dead downtown on New Years Day. Always is. You might see some folks cleaning up from the evening's festivities in Old Sac. Otherwise, if the weather's good you could walk to the State Capitol and venture around the grounds then go to breakfast at the Fox and Goose a few blocks farther down the street (or do it in the reverse order.) Downtown Plaza is for all intents and purposes only a Macy's now as the rest of it was demolished over a year ago.

I concur with suggestion to visit davis instead for your layover time. More interesting for window shopping than downtown Sacratomato.

I would imagine just about every place is quiet and shut down on New Year's Day morning, except Pasadena, of course.
I've been there. Looked like a refugee camp, but with lots of Silli String everywhere. People were huddled up in sleeping bags and blankets, and I even saw a few propane patio heaters. Most of the fast food restaurants weren't stupid. They completely closed their dining rooms. I could order a breakfast Extra Value Meal at McDonald's (nothing a la carte), and that location had one employee taking orders on a pad outside and accepting payment only in cash.

We had a grandstand seat however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back