Sacramento station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I'll be doing a couple of 5 hr layovers there. Is the area safe? Are there any decent places to eat nearby, walk to?

Sacramento, CA - Dinner around station
Hang a left out the front door of the station. A Starbucks is at the east end of the property.
Or from there go south one block and there is a Subway on the southwest corner, or a bit further south past the Sunway is a little Mexican place (Cilantro's)
Just west from the Station (on the other side of the overhead freeway) is Old Sacramento and numerous restaurants.

Google Maps - Restaurants - Sacramento Amtrak

It's my understanding it's a relatively safe area. But the SAC station doesn't have a 1st class (sleeper berth fare) passenger lounge.
The station is next door to the US District Court which is next to the Sacramento County Main Jail.
So during the day there is extra law enforcement about tending to court or jail tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure and visit the California State Rail Museum next to the Amtrak Station,it's located beside the Sacramento River and as was said, Old Sacramento!

The Station is under rehab so can be noisy. And there is an area designated as a Waiting Area for first class passengers inside the Station where you can leave your luggage or even day check it while you do your layover!

The Light rail also runs out of the Station so you might want to take a trip on it out to Folsom ( East of town) to pass some time!

In old Sac there's one (okay, two or three) of those places where you can get one of those old timey photos taken! If you hit up each and every one you might use up a few hours.

The area around the station is OK. Sacramento is a government town, and the immediate area has many, many government buildings as Sacramento is the state capital, the county seat, and the largest city in the region (which means a reasonable federal government presence). There's going to be lots of activity on a weekday. Across the street is a US District Court, although the area seems to be dominated by county government, including the main jail, county recorder, and main county courthouse (although technically it's a state superior court). Then there are city government buildings. The State Capitol building and several state government buildings are within walking distance.

I've been there various times, but typically weekends and holidays to take the family to Old Sac. It's kind of dead there during those times, except for some activity in what's left of the mall (with the rest now demolished to make way for the new arena). The only businesses typically open during weekends are bail bonds, save the mall. I remember parking outside of Old Sac and thinking there were some people who were just hanging around government buildings doing nothing. I was a bit worried that they might be scouting cars to break into. Once I forgot my phone and when I got to Old Sac I saw a city cop and asked how safe it would be if I left my phone in the car, and he advised me to go back immediately and get it.

Lots of places to eat in Old Sacramento and there always seemed to be lots of people around during the daytime and early evening. A pretty safe walk under the freeway to get to it. But our policy has been "when the sun goes down, the night creatures come out..smile" so stay in a crowd if out at night. Lots of street people hang out under the freeways. Not necessarily dangerous but it is best to be aware.

The area is safe at night. I've walked around there at all hours of the day and night on all nights of the week. Later at night it's just desolate except for some crowds when the jail has their release time. It's also fairly dead on the weekends outside of Old Sac.

As I said in the linked thread, I'd avoid eating in Old Sac and head east to eat.

If you have to kill the connection from the southbound Starlight to the Zephyr, then you are basically sitting in a toilet for up to 4-5 hours with little to do since the Museum and Old Sac are not yet open and about the only eating option is the former Denny's or a basic snack counter in the station.

What's really sad is that there used to be a vibrant Chinatown there, until someone decided to modernize and turn it into a strip mall in the 70s. It basically stripped it of anything that made it interesting. There's basically nothing left there other than a senior assisted living facility and one Vietnamese restaurant that I've never seen open.

My understanding is that there used to be a vibrant one block Chinatown that was probably a great place to grab something to eat 40-50 years ago.

I'm in a roomette tonight on the CS #11. I'll leave my luggage at the makeshift "lounge" next to baggage and head out about 1.2 miles to the Fox & Goose along 10th St. south of the Capitol.

If the weather is good I won't be back to the station until about 10:30AM. I'm hoping some improvements have been made since I was there last.

The other breakfast place I like (closed Mondays) is Jim Denny's (not Denny's) on 12th St. between H & I.

How far east are you going on the CZ? I'll be getting off in Galesburg about noontime on Wednesday.

If you have to kill the connection from the southbound Starlight to the Zephyr, then you are basically sitting in a toilet for up to 4-5 hours with little to do since the Museum and Old Sac are not yet open and about the only eating option is the former Denny's or a basic snack counter in the station.
just store your luggage and walk about town. I had a very nice time walking around town in the dawn. You can read about my adventure at trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com.
I walked to the state capital, got breakfast, etc. It was nice to stretch my legs!

I'm in a roomette tonight on the CS #11. I'll leave my luggage at the makeshift "lounge" next to baggage and head out about 1.2 miles to the Fox & Goose along 10th St. south of the Capitol.

If the weather is good I won't be back to the station until about 10:30AM. I'm hoping some improvements have been made since I was there last.

The other breakfast place I like (closed Mondays) is Jim Denny's (not Denny's) on 12th St. between H & I.

How far east are you going on the CZ? I'll be getting off in Galesburg about noontime on Wednesday.
Hey Tom! We'll be on the same train for a couple of hours tomorrow morning. I'm getting on in Chico and you're getting off in SAC. But I'll be in coach, so alas, our paths will not cross.

The Fox and Goose (10th and R St.'s) is a great place and their breakfast/brunch is top notch.

Looks like we'll be on time (maybe early). I'll be wearing a black California Zephyr cap and a green jacket. I'll have a red backpack and a maroon suitcase.

The Fox & Goose opens at 6:30 so I won't leave the station until 6:10 at the earliest. It is a bit of a walk from the new platform up to the old station. Don't be afraid to ask for the ride on the golf cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back