Sacramento Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone.

Im planning a trip to Sacramento from Martinez, and was wondering if it mattered if i take the California Zephyr or Capitol Corridor to Sacramento? those two trains depart at about the same time, around 10am which is the time I plan on leaving Martinez. Im going to visit the Railroad Museum in SAC. I havne't been to that museum since I was a kid. :) IM excited.

I was just wondering on the trip there and back, which train is usually on schedule more? i know trains can be delayed for a while so just wondering if it mattered which one i took.

thank's again.

Oh and anything else I should see in Sacramento while Im there? I only plan on being there for a few hours. thanks again.

If reliability is important, you'll definitely want to take the Capitol Corridor trains in both directions. There would

be no particular advantage to be gained by riding the long-distance train on such a short segment unless you

wanted to check a bag, which I would presume is not the case for a day trip like this. Have fun!

Capitol Corridor for sure. The CZ could be late, at least the CC trains will be relatively on time.

I hope you have a fun and safe trip. Have fun in Sacramento as well. :)

Also, welcome to AU Yoshi!

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:
If reliability is important, you'll definitely want to take the Capitol Corridor trains in both directions. There would

be no particular advantage to be gained by riding the long-distance train on such a short segment unless you

wanted to check a bag, which I would presume is not the case for a day trip like this. Have fun!
thank's.

I might take the Zephyr to SAC and the Capitol Corridor back to Martinez. EB the Zephyr won't be (or shouldn't be) running all that far behind schedule at all because it starts in Emeryville a couple stations down the line. It does also skip the Suisun-Fairfield stop that the Capitol Corridor train would make and maybe saves five minutes tops. If it were me I'd take whichever was cheaper.

Heading back to Martinez you would want to take a Capitol Corridor train because they originate in SAC and will have better OTP than the westbound Zephyr.

I might take the Zephyr to SAC and the Capitol Corridor back to Martinez. EB the Zephyr won't be (or shouldn't be) running all that far behind schedule at all because it starts in Emeryville a couple stations down the line. It does also skip the Suisun-Fairfield stop that the Capitol Corridor train would make and maybe saves five minutes tops. If it were me I'd take whichever was cheaper.

Heading back to Martinez you would want to take a Capitol Corridor train because they originate in SAC and will have better OTP than the westbound Zephyr.
cool thank's for the suggestions!

I'd chose the Cap Corridor for sure. Not only does it give you much more flexibility due to so many trains, but the cafe car has the best pot roast sandwich you've ever tasted!

I think the CZ going to Sac and the Cap Corridor coming back is a good option. BTW, the CZ returning to Martinez is NOT an option. It is "discharge only" from Sacramento on and they won't write a ticket that requires boarding at a discharge only stop.

I think the CZ going to Sac and the Cap Corridor coming back is a good option. BTW, the CZ returning to Martinez is NOT an option. It is "discharge only" from Sacramento on and they won't write a ticket that requires boarding at a discharge only stop.
Plus, it would make for a very short day in Sacramento, considering the OP isn't getting there until after 11 in the morning and the w/b Zephyr, if on time, leaves at 2:13 p.m.

IYAM, the eastbound Zephyr should be "receive only" until after it leaves Sacramento. There's no need for a valuable seat to be taken up by a short-haul passenger only

traveling as far as Sacramento, when there's frequent, reliable corridor service along the same route.

Plus, it would make for a very short day in Sacramento, considering the OP isn't getting there until after 11 in the morning and the w/b Zephyr, if on time, leaves at 2:13 p.m.

IYAM, the eastbound Zephyr should be "receive only" until after it leaves Sacramento. There's no need for a valuable seat to be taken up by a short-haul passenger only

traveling as far as Sacramento, when there's frequent, reliable corridor service along the same route.
There are always many people boarding the eastbound Zephyr in Sacramento, and only a handful getting off, so no "valuable seat will be taken up by a short-haul passenger only." Instead, an otherwise empty seat will be occupied for that segment. Should in the unlikely event that a large number of short-haul passengers attempt to book passage, I suspect that the reservation system will cut off sales before the short hauls exceed the number of passengers scheduled to board in Sacramento.

There are always many people boarding the eastbound Zephyr in Sacramento, and only a handful getting off, so no "valuable seat will be taken up by a short-haul passenger only." Instead, an otherwise empty seat will be occupied for that segment. Should in the unlikely event that a large number of short-haul passengers attempt to book passage, I suspect that the reservation system will cut off sales before the short hauls exceed the number of passengers scheduled to board in Sacramento.
Perhaps you're right and that it's a solution in search of a problem. But then again, those people using those "otherwise empty seats" can simply book an unreserved ticket on a Capitol Corridor train that's due into SAC a mere 4 minutes later than the eastbound Zephyr. So there's no particular customer-service reason for offering the short-haul seats on the Zephyr other than to appeal to train fans who get a thrill out of riding on a LD train.

Many other LD trains are "R" only for the first few stops along their route, when that section corresponds to a high-frequency corridor. I just think it makes sense to include the CZ from EMY to SAC in that category. YMMV.

I've done the trip from EMY-SAC on both the Zephyr and the Starlite as well as the Capitol Corridor usually what I do is just take a seat in the Sightseer lounge for the two hour trip. Reason being is I enjoy looking out the larger windows which you can't get on the Capitol Corridor. Though, I can definitely see the point of view fairviewroad raises I figure if Amtrak didn't want me on that train they wouldn't have sold me the ticket.

When we traveled the WB CZ in October of '10, we actually were AHEAD of schedule arriving in EMY, so the stop in SAC was pretty much on time.

If you have any more time to spare after visiting the museum, wander the Old Town area of Sacramento...good eating and interesting shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back