Same Capitol Corridor train kills two pedestrians on one trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTOlson

Lead Service Attendant
The Bay Area News Group is reporting that the southbound Capitol Corridor 535 struck and killed two pedestrians in separate incidents today.

The first incident happened just after noon north of Berkeley station. It was released en route for San Jose after 90 minutes. Less than 30 minutes later, it hit another pedestrian in East Oakland and the train ended its run there with passengers being taken off and put onto a bus.

That's got to be horrible for all involved.

:unsure:

Robbed of a shot at the hat trick. Wonder if the Bay Area News Group ever goes by its noisy acronymn.
While its tragic that someone died,it is not Sensational or Major news as reported by

Eteless-Witness -News!The real impact is the pax that were delayed by careless or

helpless people who were tresspassing for whatever the reason, and as they say

Man vs. Train: The Train Wins!!!!!!! ;) The hat trick analogy is priceless, maybe

non hockey fans didnt get it but it helps put a real slant on a typical local media scoop!

(Did they fall off a locomotive?? :lol: )

:unsure:
Robbed of a shot at the hat trick. Wonder if the Bay Area News Group ever goes by its noisy acronymn.
While its tragic that someone died,it is not Sensational or Major news as reported by

Eteless-Witness -News!The real impact is the pax that were delayed by careless or

helpless people who were tresspassing for whatever the reason, and as they say

Man vs. Train: The Train Wins!!!!!!! ;) The hat trick analogy is priceless, maybe

non hockey fans didnt get it but it helps put a real slant on a typical local media scoop!

(Did they fall off a locomotive?? :lol: )
"Two trespassing suicides delay passengers" should be the headline. If they were in the gauge when a train was approaching, they were not 'pedestrians' they were suicidal idiots. Darwin wins.

It's kind of interesting...I was at EMY today dropping off bags for shipping at ~2:00 PM, and was wondering why two Capitol Corridors and one San Joaquin were arriving at the same time. Now I know!

But that has to be terrible for the engineer(s) involved as well as all of the other people on the train.

There was more information in a San Francisco Chronicle article. Officials said both deaths are possible suicides and that both were likely trespassing.

I don't know if this story was played as "Sensational or Major news." It's a short story outlining two deaths by the same train (which I would personally find odd or at least noteworthy). I don't think the story was heavily touted (the story was published on page B-3 in today's Chronicle). It wasn't played up on the KCVU (FOX affiliate) late news as far as I can tell.

In any case, what makes something news is often in the eye of the reader. If you were a passenger whose commute was disrupted, wouldn't you want to know about it? As someone who follows passenger train issues, wouldn't you want to know about it? If you were a family member or friend of anyone involved in the collisions, wouldn't you want to know about it? These articles provide some information.

Wonder if the Bay Area News Group ever goes by its noisy acronymn.
Yes, Bay Area News Group does go by BANG.

In any case, what makes something news is often in the eye of the reader. If you were a passenger whose commute was disrupted, wouldn't you want to know about it? As someone who follows passenger train issues, wouldn't you want to know about it? If you were a family member or friend of anyone involved in the collisions, wouldn't you want to know about it? These articles provide some information.
Generally though Bay Area media does not report on these types of incidents to prevent copycats. I've been on trains that hit people several times all in the Bay Area on the Capitol Corridor. None of the times did The Chronicle publish an article on it. Only reason they did here was because the same train hit two different people at two different times on the same run. That is pretty rare.

Whooz it's more like the goalie stuffed the train as it was going for the hat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back