San Diego Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
We're flying to San Diego for an event in Coronado. Hence, might be staying in Coronado and taking the Ferry or Water Taxi when visiting San Diego. I'm wondering if anyone knows how close the San Diego station is to the Ferry or Water Taxi point as we are definitely wanting to take a short trip on the Pacific Surfliner!

Do you think tickets need to be scheduled far in advance for the Surfliner, on a weekend?

Also, if anyone knows of any hidden gem hotels (meaning reasonably priced and decent quality and safe location) in either downtown San Diego or Coronado, please let me know :) We just have to be able to be in Coronado at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning...

San Diego Ferry Info

The ferry terminal isn't far from the station - a few blocks.

Though I don't know a whole lot about downtown lodging, I do know that downtown hotels tend to be expensive (but not as expensive as Coronado).

Unless your trip is during a a major holiday period, e.g. Thanksgiving, Pacific Surfliners are unreserved; first come first served, and tickets are good on any unreserved train for a year from purchase. I always buy online in advance because it's simpler for Guest Rewards points purposes.

Weekend Surfliners can indeed be crowded; best to get to the station early in order to get in line and secure a seat upon boarding.

As far as the Ferry, it runs from 9 AM until 9 PM leaving every half hour (I think, if not every half, it's every hour) each day. On the San Diego side, it docks at the Broadway Pier, which is about 2 blocks from the Downtown station that has Surfliner Service, as well as the Trolley station to go to other places around San Diego.

As far as tickets, I can't imagine you would need advance tickets on the Surfliner for a weekend run, especially when you will be getting on at the first station.

As far as hotels, there are dozens downtown... since I live in San Diego I have never needed to stay in one though! You will probably have a tough time getting a place in Coronado for cheap, as there are few hotels there.

Thanks, good to know about the convenient location of the Ferry!!! Good point about being the first stop for Pacific Surfliner departure out of San Diego, returning might make it a little more difficult to get a seat... Not sure how to go about buying a ticket online, though, without specifying an exact time... If I can get tickets good for any time during the weekend, then that will make trip planning a little less stressful lol (although, if the train is full, then could conceivably not get on the train?)

Had noticed the Coronado Inn, just a lowkey property, in Coronado. Don't really need more than bed, bath and safe location as don't plan on being in the room much. Anyone have familiarity with it?

Thanks in advance :)

Not sure how to go about buying a ticket online, though, without specifying an exact time... If I can get tickets good for any time during the weekend, then that will make trip planning a little less stressful lol (although, if the train is full, then could conceivably not get on the train?)
Just pick the train you think you're most likely to take and book that one. Even though the system requires you to commit to a train to process the reservation, the tickets are unreserved tickets and won't specify what train or date you committed to online. Therefore you can use the ticket for any date or train you like.

The only exception is business class, if you book BC, then you are committed to a specific train on a specific date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pick the train you think you're most likely to take and book that one. Even though the system requires you to commit to a train to process the reservation, the tickets are unreserved tickets and won't specify what train or date you committed to online. Therefore you can use the ticket for any date or train you like.
Correction: The tickets are NOT valid for any date BEFORE the date you specify. From that date onward, they are good on any train in the next year. So just book for any train on the earliest date you might possibly want to ride.

Correction: The tickets are NOT valid for any date BEFORE the date you specify. From that date onward, they are good on any train in the next year. So just book for any train on the earliest date you might possibly want to ride.
I'm making some final trip plans, so please bear with me!

1) Can I make a reservation over the phone, then ticket at the station (SAN) when I get there? As with any trip planning, there is always a chance something won't work out as planned, especially on a fairly short trip!

2) As I understand it, I can ticket from SAN - LAX - SAN but basically get off/on at stops through the trip, taking different trains throughout the day?

Thanks in advance!!

2) As I understand it, I can ticket from SAN - LAX - SAN but basically get off/on at stops through the trip, taking different trains throughout the day?
Thanks in advance!!
Unless I'm very mistaken, and I am on occasion, once your ticket has been taken, if you leave the train at an intermediate stop, that's it. You have to buy a new ticket to continue. No stopovers.

1) Can I make a reservation over the phone, then ticket at the station (SAN) when I get there? As with any trip planning, there is always a chance something won't work out as planned, especially on a fairly short trip!
You can definately make a reservation by phone and pick up the tickets at the station, but depending on just how far in advance you make the reservation you may or may not have to pay for it by credit card while on the phone.

Absolutely not. You can certainly get off earlier than LA, but once you're off you'll need a new ticket to get back on board.

Isn't there also the issue that you need to pick up the tickets 10 minutes before the departure time/date you specify if you're trying to get tickets you previously paid for out of a Quik-Trak machine? Or is that not an issue with unreserved tickets?

You can definately make a reservation by phone and pick up the tickets at the station, but depending on just how far in advance you make the reservation you may or may not have to pay for it by credit card while on the phone.

Absolutely not. You can certainly get off earlier than LA, but once you're off you'll need a new ticket to get back on board.
Wow, I totally was confused! So best to know ahead of time where/when I want to get off/on and just book all of those separately then?

We've decided that with this short trip, we're going to visit 'California', not 'San Diego', if that makes sense :)

I was thinking a day or 2 before... basically to hold seats but I'm still afraid that something could interfere with the one day we can do this!

We have made two trips to San Diego on the Surfliner in the last year.

Both were on a weekend and SRO coming back on sunday.

Again on both trips hotel rooms were scarce. We stayed on Hotel Circle

on the North end of town. For $5 each we got a daily pass good for unlimited

bus and trolley travel. The public transportation system there is quite good.

Here is their web site: http://www.sdcommute.com/

Wow, I totally was confused! So best to know ahead of time where/when I want to get off/on and just book all of those separately then?

We've decided that with this short trip, we're going to visit 'California', not 'San Diego', if that makes sense :)

I was thinking a day or 2 before... basically to hold seats but I'm still afraid that something could interfere with the one day we can do this!
Aloha

Not two long ago I booked a similar trip paid in advance with tickets FUL - SAN - FUL and decided the morning of the trip to stop off at a friends house part way. When I went to pick up the tickets they issued an extra ticket for the stop at no extra charge. Not sure this equals what you want. I don't think they offer a day pass option

Yes, you'll need to plan that out ahead of time

Unless you are booking business class seats, there is no way to "hold" seats on the Surfliners. These are unereserved trains meaning that Amtrak can and does often sell more tickets than the train can carry. This can be especially true on weekends, where often the train is standing room only by the time it gets to LA.

However, as long as you don't pick up the tickets, you can still get a full refund if plans change. Once the tickets are physically issued, then you pay the penalty for a refund.

If you have AAA or one of the other discount categories (senior, student military, etc) you need to book 3 days in advance to get the discount.

So, just do that for your selected segments and select pick them up at the station.

Thanks for all the great, helpful information!! I'll have to sit down with schedules and figure everything out lol

By chance, does anyone know how close the Coaster stations are to the Amtrak stations in both San Diego and Oceanside?

Thanks for all the great, helpful information!! I'll have to sit down with schedules and figure everything out lol
By chance, does anyone know how close the Coaster stations are to the Amtrak stations in both San Diego and Oceanside?
Aloha

Well Oceanside I think are the same, but the San Diego stations are one and the same, Trolleys on track 1&2 Coaster usually on Track 3 And Surfliner usually on track 4. Thought I had a picture of a coaster next to a surfliner but couldn't find it.

Just thought that I would report on my trip from SAN - LAX last weekend. Had no problem buying tickets for our early train. Train was very smooth, enjoyed the view including hundreds of surfers :) Didn't stay in LA long, just took a quick walk outside, grabbed a bite to eat at the bagel place, and back in line for a train back to SAN that left approx. 45 mins late. Saw, unfortunately, a new fire that had sprouted in the distance and was growing rapidly. When we got back to SAN in the afternoon, the line in the station waiting to board was quite long. Very quaint station in SAN, nice grounds too!

Thanks for everyone's input that resulted in us taking the trip :)

Avoid BC on the southbound Surfliner, south of Anaheim. S/B, BC is at the head end of the train, and regulations require the engineer be on the horn almost continuously when along the beach, which is over an hour of horn-blowing.

The crew told me that there was an engineer (now retired) who once used so much horn (which, like the brakes, runs on air) that on one trip they unexpectedly stopped along the beach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back