San Joaquin detour -- why not posted on Amtrak.com?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, certain San Joaquin's are supposed to be detoured this week via Franklin canyon, and march 16-17.

Certain stops will be skipped, others will terminate at Stockton.

Is this still on for happening, as I see no service alerts anywhere.

Maybe CalTrans decided that passengers should be detoured to a place of mystery, but of course being California..... little excitement. :)

For what it's worth... I was booked on 711(16) that was supposed to terminate at Stockton. Amtrak emailed me a replace eTicket over the weekend that had direct service (previous ticket had a substitute bus from Stockton to Martinez.)

Maybe they are planning on being done before 3/16 or just decided to run 711 through the construction zone.

Here is the updated word now according to Amtrak.com...

San Joaquin Trains 714, 711, 713 and 716: Service Change Due to Track Work Effective through March 8 and March 16 - 18, 2013Track work being performed by Union Pacific Railway will affect San Joaquin service as described below:

Southbound Train 714Train 714 will operate between Oakland, Martinez and intermediate stations. Martinez Bus service will be provided between Martinez and Stockton, but will not stop at Antioch-Pittsburg. Train service will continue from Stockton to Bakersfield.

Northbound Train 711
  • Train 711 will operate from Bakersfield to Stockton. Bus service will be provided between Stockton and Martinez, but will not stop at Antioch-Pittsburg. Train service will continue Martinez to Oakland.
  • Passengers may encounter delays of approximately one hour departing Martinez.
Northbound Train 713 and Southbound Train 716
  • Trains 713 and 716 will not stop at Martinez and Richmond. Bus service will be provided to and from Martinez. Passengers may contact Capitol Corridor for service to and from Richmond.
  • Trains 713 and 716 may encounter delays of approximately 45 minutes.
  • On March 18, Train 716 will operate normally and will stop at all stations on the route.
Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. Reservation and train status information is available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak and follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak.

PSN 0313-39

What I assume is that train "714" is departing OKJ and running to MTZ. Train "714" is then "turned" (just switching direction) to become train "711" at MTZ. Train "711" is terminating at SKN and "turned" to become train "714" at SKN. The buses are leaving with the 711 passengers from SKN to MTZ and then picking up the train 714 passengers at MTZ to deliver them to SKN. That seems like the most logical use of the equipment. But then again I've seen crazy things so who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, very confusing, I'm all booked on 713 and 716! Can't wait to see Franklin Canyon route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back