Sandusky OH?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
I will be getting off the Lake Shore in Sandusky OH in early August, and was wondering if anyone knew a bit about the station. Amtraks web site lists it as having restrooms and pay phones, but it appears that it does not have an agent at all times (if ever?) Is the station in a decent part of town? Is there any type of waiting area? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

This travelogue includes a stop over in Sandusky (Cedar Point), as do many of the others on that site. As I've never been to Sandusky, I can't comment, but maybe the travelogues will help give you an idea.

It is not in the best part of town. It is extremely small and was not in use in prior years, but I believe there was talk of some restoration.

The "Guest" above is correct, it's not in the best part of Sandusky. I detrained in Sandusky a couple years back off the westbound Capital. At that time the station was not open at all. I beleave the payphone was outside, and the restrooms is probably the trunk of a tree outback somewhere.

Also be prepared to wait a while for a taxi. I was told 45 minutes after I called for one. I think they have to wake a driver out of bed to come get you in the middle of the night. I ended up not taking a taxi. That's a whole other story.

Unless you have someone picking you up in Sandusky, it may be better to get off in Toledo. The station in Toledo is fully staffed and has a rather large remodled waiting area. The neighborhood that the Toledo station is located is in a rough part of town. However you should be able to get taxi service rather easily. You could then rent a car and drive to Sandusky which is about 60 miles east of Toledo. Cleveland is also 60 miles from Sandusky but east. I have never been in this station, but I'm sure it's rather nice and you should easily be able to get a taxi and rental car here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be getting off the Lake Shore in Sandusky OH in early August, and was wondering if anyone knew a bit about the station. Amtraks web site lists it as having restrooms and pay phones, but it appears that it does not have an agent at all times (if ever?) Is the station in a decent part of town? Is there any type of waiting area? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

We board the Lake Shore in Sandusky and are planning another trip to Chicago this weekend. The station has been refurbished but is not manned by Amtrak officials. It is currently being used by the Sandusky Transportion Dept which operates buses in Sandusky. Unfortunately, those buses do not run in the wee hours of the morning when the Capitol and Lake Shore arrive and depart. There is a notice that the station lobby with restrooms and seating will be opened by the Sandusky police during the times that trains arrive.

They may have it open when you arrive, but if not there is number to call and an officer will open the doors to the lobby.

It is true the area around the station is not too healthy looking and we do not leave our car there, but have friends drop and pick up when we travel. Have heard from others that taxi service in unreliable but cannot comment on that.

Hope this adds to some info on Sandusky. Have fun at Cedar Point!

Thanks for all of your advice, I just got back from a great trip that included my visit to Sandusky/ Cedar Point.

The Station is very nice actually, clean restrooms, and indoor sitting area. It was open when our Lake Shore arrived approx. 1 and 1/2 hours late. We just waited about 30 minutes and had a bus take us from the station to Cedar Point. The bus service was great.

I would like to add to the fact that taxi service is VERY unreliable. We had arranged a taxi to take us back to the station, and it did not show. After calling numerous companies, we finally did get a cab to the station, but we barely made our train (only because it had lost more time). We had wished that we had allowed more time.

While the area may not be the best part of Sandusky, I felt very safe there, even at 1:45 AM before the Capitols arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back