Santa Fe Hi Levels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
What has become of all the ex Santa Fe Hi Level coaches? I know the last ones in service were on our Heartland Flyer but they went to Beech Grove about a year or so ago. Is there any future for these great cars, especially considering the Hi Level Lounges just got a new lease on life? And did Amtrak ever have any of the Hi Level Diners?

What has become of all the ex Santa Fe Hi Level coaches? I know the last ones in service were on our Heartland Flyer but they went to Beech Grove about a year or so ago. Is there any future for these great cars, especially considering the Hi Level Lounges just got a new lease on life? And did Amtrak ever have any of the Hi Level Diners?
Two or three are owned by a guy in Dallas. They were used for an excursion run between Commerce, TX and Sulphur Springs. That was in '01 or '02. Haven't heard of them being used since them. When they were pulled off the HF, I think that was the last we'll ever see of them on Amtrak. They'll probably be sold, but in the case of the three that I saw, they weren't up to Amtrak standards and couldn't be pulled as PV. Don't know if the HF would still pass Amtrak requirements.

I'm not sure if Amtrak has sold them or even scrapped them, but they are no longer on the active roster. That means that at least some amount of work would be needed to restore them to service, assuming that Amtrak even still has them.

Where are they gonna find another buyer for all those cars? (I'm assuming there's more than just one trainset of two of them?) Even if somebody does buy them, it's probably gonna be a LONG wait. I'd think they'd just scrap them for the immediate cash benefit, since they really need money for new equipment now.

I know people buy retired airliners and convert them to living quarters, and I could see that being done with one or 2 of these classics. Of course you'd be very limited on where you could move them too, but couple 2 together and you'd have about 1,400 square feet of usable space. It would even be better if one of those was a retired Sightseer!

Checked by today, and located EIGHT former AMTRAK cars located at JOHN'S CARS near Fair Park, Dallas.

They are:

39xxx unknown

39901 Coach

39949 Coach

39920 Dorm

39918 Dorm

39943 Dorm

39994 Diner/Lounge

39934 Coach/Dorm

The location is currently very difficult to access due to much construction on the new DART rail line east and south of the location.

Also of note: two old private cars also on site. I could not get any info off them due to the construction. Will either take some binoculars or go by when they are open -- and maybe get a tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a total of 6 diners that were in service At east one was used on the Pionier and and two were last used in California on the Capitol and San Jouquine trains when the California cars first went into servioce. The tow Hi level diners ran in place of the Califonia dinettes cars sinc the coaches were released for service first and the Dinettes were not inservice yet.

And did Amtrak ever have any of the Hi Level Diners?
Amtrak basically ran the Super Chief/Southwest Chief exactly as it was for a short time (whereas most trains immediately became a rag-tag group of mis-matched paint jobs), so they did own HL diners. I'm not sure when they sold them; probably when they converted that train to Superliner equipment.

Edit: whoops, ha! Saw that this was posted August 4, didn't see that it was 2008! Oh well, I wasn't the first to dig the thread up...

You can find some more information on what happened to Santa Fe's Hi Level El Capitan fleet at http://www.trainweb.org/vangab/hilev.htm . In particular it has information about the disposition of the Diners.

The Super Chief in the heyday was a sleeper only train, and was low level. It was the Coach only El Capitan that was Hi Level. In the waning years before 1971 the two trains ran combined as a single train called Super Chief - El Capitan, with a Transition Car connecting the two sections together.

The double-decker sleepers in actual realization are an Amtrak innovation, much as it is hard to believe :)

I believe there are a number of Hi-Level cars at an equipment dealer on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro area. There were even some reports that the Illinois Department of Transportation had looked into buying them for state-supported Amtrak trains. Nothing ever came of those reports, so I don't know if it's still a possibility.

One interesting tidbit regarding those Hi-Level diners....they were so heavy that they required six wheel trucks...I believe the only other "lightweight era" cars to do so were the full-length dome-lounge cars built by P-S and Budd.

One interesting tidbit regarding those Hi-Level diners....they were so heavy that they required six wheel trucks...I believe the only other "lightweight era" cars to do so were the full-length dome-lounge cars built by P-S and Budd.
Yes. The Amtrak full length Dome car does indeed have six wheel trucks.

These cars were quite the rage in their day. View of a postcard I have showing one of the cars.

hilevelDome.jpg

You can find some more information on what happened to Santa Fe's Hi Level El Capitan fleet at http://www.trainweb.org/vangab/hilev.htm . In particular it has information about the disposition of the Diners, which apparently never got any Amtrak re-numbering.

The Super Chief in the heyday was a sleeper only train, and was low level. It was the Coach only El Capitan that was Hi Level. In the waning years before 1971 the two trains ran combined as a single train called Super Chief - El Capitan, with a Transition Car connecting the two sections together.

The double-decker sleepers in actual realization are an Amtrak innovation, much as it is hard to believe :)

Yes, El Capitan was indeed a high level train when Amtrak took over in 1971.

But it was originally a low level train (the only kind there was!) when it was first built as a new streamliner in 1938.

It received a big dome probably in the early 50's. Then in 1955-56 was re-equipped as a high level train, coaches, diner and lounge. In 1963 there was a new order for more high level coaches (though not diners or lounges).

At that time the original high level coaches were placed on the San Francisco Chief,itself a new schedule made of hand me down low and high level cars.The CAP got the new coaches.

And some time afer all that, some of the high level coaches drifted over to the Texas Chief.

About the Super and the CAP running together, that was an on an off thing for awhile but it eventually became permanent. It was kind of seasonal at first, like running as separate trains in the summer, still.

You can find some more information on what happened to Santa Fe's Hi Level El Capitan fleet at http://www.trainweb....angab/hilev.htm . In particular it has information about the disposition of the Diners, which apparently never got any Amtrak re-numbering.

The double-decker sleepers in actual realization are an Amtrak innovation, much as it is hard to believe
smile.gif

But it was originally a low level train (the only kind there was!) when it was first built as a new streamliner in 1938.

It received a big dome probably in the early 50's. Then in 1955-56 was re-equipped as a high level train, coaches, diner and lounge. In 1963 there was a new order for more high level coaches (though not diners or lounges).

At that time the original high level coaches were placed on the San Francisco Chief,itself a new schedule made of hand me down low and high level cars.The CAP got the new coaches.

And some time afer all that, some of the high level coaches drifted over to the Texas Chief.

About the Super and the CAP running together, that was an on an off thing for awhile but it eventually became permanent. It was kind of seasonal at first, like running as separate trains in the summer, still.
Bill - video I took about 1954 or 55 in Chicago. At the 4 second mark a big Santa Fe dome car comes into view for a few seconds.

VIDEO

You can find some more information on what happened to Santa Fe's Hi Level El Capitan fleet at http://www.trainweb....angab/hilev.htm . In particular it has information about the disposition of the Diners, which apparently never got any Amtrak re-numbering.

The double-decker sleepers in actual realization are an Amtrak innovation, much as it is hard to believe
smile.gif

Bill - video I took about 1954 or 55 in Chicago. At the 4 second mark a big Santa Fe dome car comes into view for a few seconds.

VIDEO

Neat footage, thanks.

These cars were quite the rage in their day. View of a postcard I have showing one of the cars.

hilevelDome.jpg
That's a nice collectible view of a Hi-Level lounge car....also known as the "Top of the Cap/Kachina Coffee Shop". That's what was converted into the 'Pacific Parlor Cars' for the Coast Starlight. Unlike the Hi-Level diners, these cars had the same four wheel trucks as the Hi-Level chair cars.

Just reading this thread today, noticed "John's Trains" was listed as having several of the old ATSF cars. Do they still have them? Is there a street address where they're located that could be seen from the street?

On the Illinois Transit front, I have yet to see any listing of these cars for sale, but in google maps I have seen cars parked at their yard... from street view, it appears they have the one non-amtrak observation car that didn't make to become a PPC. Not sure if any others still survive, or if they're for sale or just sitting and rusting in peace.

It looks like Illinois Transit Assembly Corp. has quite the variety of cars. Including alot of hi-levels.

Bird's Eye View (Bing)

peter
I think we have a winner!

That's a lot of hi-levels, most of which seem to still be in Amtrak paint. I count at least 27 (26 hooked together and then one shell way up at the top of the yard). Amtrak only ever had 73 of these, so that's a pretty large collection. I wonder if these were collected over the years as Amtrak retired them or if they got them all in one fell swoop. I know there's one lounge there but I wonder if these are mostly the transition coach dorm cars that Amtrak used to run on Superliner trains and were probably among the last of the hi-levels to be retired from regular service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back