Saturdays (?) Southwest Cheif (#3) 6hrs+ late.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris J.

Lead Service Attendant
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; I've just got to San Fran after a bit of a train bus train bus nightmare.

Seems the Chief lost BOTH engines just outside ABQ.Freight engine added to the front; but an already late train just got later and later. ETA in Flagstaff (where I got on) went from 10.00 to 11.30 to 12.45 and eventually it turned up at 1.20. I think this was saturday's departure from Chicago.

To make the connection we were bussed from San Bernadino to Bakersfield (through some nightmare traffic) and onto a San Joaquins then bus to bay area or connect at Sacremento.

So I missed out on the Starlight; but did get to see the desert.. Was mid morning by the time we got to Barstow.

Now it's time for some sleep :) I might try to get a voucher out of Amtrak for the hassles..

Thats why we say "it's not just a train trip, it's an adventure!" Sounds like a trip from hell for sure, some of the engine buffs here keep up with these failures, seems like there has been alot this summer!Once youve rested up give us a trip report please!

At least your train showed up, the Texas Eagle didnt show up for TWO DAYS down here in Texas resulting in bustitution

on IH35, the busiest highway on a consistent 24/7 basis in the US! And that was for hundreds of miles in both directions! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you had a sleeper on the CS, then you are certainly entitled to a refund of those charges. And you pretty much should be able to get something more for the overall inconvenience and delay.

Sorry to hear that things went so wrong! :(

Well if you had a sleeper on the CS, then you are certainly entitled to a refund of those charges. And you pretty much should be able to get something more for the overall inconvenience and delay.
Sorry to hear that things went so wrong! :(
I was slumming it out in coach; but maybe they'll give me a few dollars voucher for the hassle. I'll drop them an email or give them a call.

It could've been worse - had I been stuck in Bakersfield overnight (even at Amtrak's expense) I would've been a bit more annoyed. Travel on Amtrak always has the ability to turn into a bit of an adventure; I guess I was prepared for that. To be fair to Amtrak but they did get me to my destination.

I'll do a full trip report soon. In contrast; the #3 I took from Chicago to Flagstaff rolled in pretty much on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back