scanners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentrain17

Service Attendant
Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive scanner for railroad use while onboard LD Amtrak trains? ( I was looking at scanners at Radio Shack for less than $200)

Upon the recommendation of folks on this board, I got a NASCAR Bearcat scanner. It was under $100 iirc.

I use an old Realistic Pro-38 purchased at a garage sale for about $20. With an AC power adapter and airline headphones, it works great in both sleeper and coach.

Just so long as you can pick up the 160 MHz Range, just about anything will do. I have a pro-107 which has a very diverse frequency range, but darn near impossible to program without a PC.

Best part is that Amtrak hasn't gone digital, so any traditional, non-trunking, analog scanner that can pick up 160 - 164 Mhz should do the trick.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so long as you can pick up the 160 MHz Range, just about anything will do. I have a pro-107 which has a very diverse frequency range, but darn near impossible to program without a PC.
Best part is that Amtrak hasn't gone digital, so any traditional, non-trunking, analog scanner that can pick up 160 - 164 Mhz should do the trick.

Enjoy!
Just be aware that as of January almost all VHF and UHF private land mobile bands, ARR and Amtrak included, were required to Narrowband, using 12.5 kHz spacing, half of what it was before. The old radios will still work, but the new channels created when used will seem weak and more prone to interference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back