Scenery in Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
I will soon be traveling from Baltimore to Winter Park, FL on the Silver Meteor. This for the Florida mini-gathering.

Then I will return from Lakeland to DC on the Silver Star.

I am very familiar with the DC area. But what about south Georgia and Florida? Say, from Savannah to Lakeland. Anything in particular I should look for? Which side of he train?

In southern South Carolina and Georgia, you will pass through "low country" which I think is very nice scenery. In Florida, between Jacksonville and Sanford, you will cross the St. Johns River several times. Traveling Southbound, when approaching Sanford and cross the St. Johns for the last time, Lake Monroe will be on your left, as will be Interstate 4. Fairly soon after you cross the St. Johns, you will pass the Auto Train station on your left. Likely, they will be loading cars at the time the Meteor passes by. (It will be dark when you pass northbound on the Star and the AT will be gone by then).

Going North on the Star, it will be dark when you are in the Orlando area, but if you watch carefully on the right side of the train shortly after leaving the Orlando station, you may see the Church Street Station old Steam Engine (that soon will be moved to a destination to be determined). Shortly after that, also on the right side of the train, when crossing state road 50, you can see my condo building about a half mile away :lol: . (It is not exactly a famous landmark, but it is special to me).

In North Florida, there are fern farms mainly on the left side of the train southbound (before DeLand I believe). I will try to think of other things. I have take the Meteor many times and I always find something "new" to see - even though the scenery cannot compete with the western trains.

Look for the Folkston, GA railfun setup trackside (right side of train S/B). Otherwise, lots of southern pine forest. A poster on another website likes to "opine" (pun) that if you've seen one pine tree, you've seen them all.

Look for the Folkston, GA railfun setup trackside (right side of train S/B). Otherwise, lots of southern pine forest. A poster on another website likes to "opine" (pun) that if you've seen one pine tree, you've seen them all.
Actually the Folkston Funnel platform is on the left side going south bound. But, ya go thru there so early & the town is so small you'll probably miss it anyway!

I'm not knocking Folkston, as I stayed at the Folkston's Road Masters Lodge for 3 days & highly reccomend it for ANY Foamer!!!! 65 trains a day go thru there!!!

EDIT: Check out the the Folkston Road Master's Lodge. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, in my entire life!!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
The tracks between Jacksonville and Orlando are rather bumpy.

That is the area where I fell out of my seat in the diner!!

Anything in particular I should look for? Which side of he train?
Gators probably?
mda.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back