Schedule change for #6

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mediaman

Train Attendant
I received a call from Julie yesterday saying #6 will depart Denver at 6:10pm instead of 7:10pm and will arrive in Chicago an hour earlier for a trip in June. Are there other schedule changes proposed? When does the new timetable come out? Thanks for the help.

I received a call from Julie yesterday saying #6 will depart Denver at 6:10pm instead of 7:10pm and will arrive in Chicago an hour earlier for a trip in June. Are there other schedule changes proposed? When does the new timetable come out? Thanks for the help.
The Fall-Winter Schedule (Current One) is in Effect from Nov. 7,2011-April 2012. Then the Summer/Fall Schedule will Go into Effect, Probably May 1st. There already is an Announced Change to the Sunset Ltd./Texas Eagle Schedule Effective May7th, other Minor Adjustmenmts will also Happen! Adjustments happen throughout the year, Amtrak is Sometimes Slow to Announce them!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
This appears to be related to the temporary re-route over the Overland Route. The intermediate stops between Salt Lake City and Denver will be skipped.

What is the Overland Route?
UP's Chicago-Oakland main line. It follows the route of the First Transcontiental Railroad. It goes up through Wyoming instead of Salt Lake City and Denver.

I see, yeah looks like June 1 - June 6, you cannot book Salt Lake City to say Glenwood Springs. Are these dates right, some rare mileage opportunity?

Yes, and the Wyoming route has its charms, even if they aren't those of the D&RGW.

Not saying I would prefer the Overland for every trip, but it's nice once in a while....

I see, yeah looks like June 1 - June 6, you cannot book Salt Lake City to say Glenwood Springs. Are these dates right, some rare mileage opportunity?
Based on the information you posted above this looks like a temporary schedule change. The dates fall in line with my travel on June 2.

Are these dates right, some rare mileage opportunity?
To some it's a rare mileage opportunity.

To (most) others, it's a rare chance to take the California Zephyr and miss some of the best scenery.
I'm with you. Our CZ did the old UP City of San Francisco routing and most of the scenery is similar to the EB after the Rockies: high plains and awfully pedestrian compared to the beauty of the little Colorado and the rugged canyons of the normal route (old D&RG).

Don't know what humdrum rare mileage gets you? Maybe along with $3 a Starbucks coffee?

Yes, and the Wyoming route has its charms, even if they aren't those of the D&RGW.

Not saying I would prefer the Overland for every trip, but it's nice once in a while....
I hear you, but I'd bet literally every single running of the CZ has first-timers, many of whom are taking this route on the recommendation

of friends (or Amtrak's marketing department) and they will except to see the Colorado Rockies. The number of passengers who ride

often enough to be able to say that "once in a while" a diversion is appreciated would be slim to none.

That said, I know diversions like this are sometimes necessary, and are highly preferable to an all-out cancellation or a long-distance bustitution.

The key is timely and effective communication to potential passengers. As of now, there is no service disruption notice on Amtrak's website, and

a passenger buying a through-ticket from the west coast to Denver or Chicago on those dates has little reason to suspect they will be denied

some of the best scenery along the route.

OK, credit where credit is due. Since I posted the above comments this morning, Amtrak has added a detailed service disruption alert to its website.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&p=1237608345018&cid=1251621577201
Just wait for the delays on these days... :eek:hboy:
Nope! The detour route is a faster running route than the normal one. When I did that several years ago we got into Salt Lake hours ahead of schedule and sat there for several hours. In fact, the station hadn't even opened up yet when we arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back