Scheduling question.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfandre

Train Attendant
My wife and I have been considering some long distance trips, and believe we have found some bugs in Amtrak's online reservation system.

For example, I I try to book an MTP to SPK trip, it gives me a "problem finding service message". But, I can do an OMA to SPK trip. Also, I can book an MTP to OMA trip on the same departure date, so it seems to me that the train isn't full.

Even stranger. If I try an MTP to LRK trip, it'll give me the the Zephyr to GBB, then a bus to SPI, then the TX Eagle to LRK. But if I try to extend the trip to DAL, or even Tucson, again I get the "problem finding service". Of course, I can also do a CHI to DAL booking no problem.

Or is the system programmed to prevent a user for taking too long of a trip?.

Thanks.

Amtrak's reservation system does tend to have glitches, such as missing city pairs. You might want to call them and ask. Maybe, a big maybe, they'll notify the appropriate people that the city pairs you're looking at are missing.

It isn't a programmed algorithm. According to AGRInsider over at FlyerTalk, all the multiple train connection routings are configured and entered manually. Not all the intermediate stations get entered.

Yes, it is stupid. Also, a reminder that Arrow, the underlying reservations system based on Sabre that is beneath the (kind of) pretty web UI is a very ancient system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason that pair can't be booked using the normal Arrow One-Way or Round-Trip modes is that the first train, the CZ, gets to CHI at 0250pm and the second train, the EB, has already departed CHI at 0215pm - requiring an overnight in CHI. Because of the overnight, such a trip through CHI needs to be booked using the Multi-City mode.

But don't ask why the Multi-City mode needs to be used or why Arrow didn't offer the MTP - SAC - PDX - SPK routing (which doesn't involve any overnights, but there's only 1hr13m between trains in PDX). All I know is Muti-City works for getting from MTP to SPK if you want to spend the night in the Windy City.

Edit: But be aware than any overnight stay or more lengthy routing would no doubt entail added expenses and/or addition time off the job and we certainly don't want those added expenses or a lengthier trip to unduly burden anyone's financial or employment situation in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back