Seating question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm on the CA Zephyr later this month:

* Car 0540, Room 021 (Westbound)

* Car 0632, Room 013 (Eastbound)

Per this diagram: http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Am I correct to understand westbound I'm in the Transition Sleeper and eastbound in the Sleeper? Any thoughts on being downstairs in Room 013? My gut reaction is to give them a call to see if there is space upstairs. Wondering about upstairs having a better view and not as close proximity to the bathrooms.

Appreciate experiences from more frequent travelers.

thanks,

Nelvin

Yep, room 21 is in the dorm, and room 13 is on the lower level

Give them a call and ask for an upstairs Roomette ( #2-#10) on #6. A good agent can switch it easily for no additional charge if available!

You should enjoy being in the Transdorm on #5, most of us have really liked our trips in the Crew Dorm.

Unlike any roomette upstairs, rm #13 will have little foot traffic outside of it.

The trans-dorm car also has little foot traffic, and since it's mostly used as crew quarters the bathrooms and showers tend be kept up nicely.

Downstairs roomettes don't sway as much as upstairs roomettes, but downstairs roomettes have a little more track noise.

#13 is below rm #3 so both are in between the trucks under the train the car wheels are on.

No doubt the view is a bit better from upstairs

You can try to get an upstairs room, but make sure they don't try to charge you more - if they say it will ask for a supervisor.

But realize the time of year you're traveling there may not be any upstairs, or any rooms, available by now.

As for room 21 in the transdorm, the one time last year I rode in that room, was good. quiet

As for room 13, lower level, rode that room 3 times lately, it was quiet, less sway than the upstairs rooms, and handy to the shower and cleaner restrooms.

For me, your room assignment seems good, if it was me I wouldn't change.

If you want the view, the view car - SSL - is better than any roomette

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep late December is a peak demand time frame.

But, stuff happens, people have to change plans, cancel or reschedule their trip and another roomette could come available.

If you want to move upstairs keep checking availability right up to the your eastbound departure.

Once on the train you could also check roomette availability with your Train Attendant - Sleeper and/or the train Conductor.

I've been able to change rooms as late as the day before departing on a trip after daily checking availability for 2 months before my departure.

I move around quite a bit when I am on the train.

So for the view I too recommend the SSL car - and the Rail Fan window on the back of the last car - and the windows in the boarding vestibule doors - and the windows by the stairs - and the windows in the dining car. Sometimes I sit for a bit in an unassigned coach seat too.

As for room 21 in the transdorm, the one time last year I rode in that room, was good. quiet

As for room 13, lower level, rode that room 3 times lately, it was quiet, less sway than the upstairs rooms, and handy to the shower and cleaner restrooms.

For me, your room assignment seems good, if it was me I wouldn't change.

If you want the view, the view car - SSL - is better than any roomette
All a matter of taste. Both are accomodations I would avoid unless there were just no other alternatives. I hate downstairs, and I hate the transdorm more. Room assignment in the transdorm could actually make me reconsider travel dates, I really, really do not like the transdorm.

I understand the appeal of the lack of foot traffic in both places, but the view issue downstairs and the potential of the transdorm being forgotten/ignored by the SCA outweighs that for me. With that said, if the poster doesn't already have opinions on those accomodations, he should probably keep them. He might discover he prefers them as you appear to, hate them as I do, or they don't make much of a difference to him. Can't know until you try and roomette location is very much a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for everybodies input, I really appreciate it. The pros / cons you guys list are really helpful! :)

Personally, I like the transdorm. I have no problem with possibly being "forgotten" by the SCA. If I need him/her, I can go find him/her. The extra quiet is nice for me......YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back