Seats in coach (Superliners)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, I've been using this site (and forum) in the planning of a North American Rail Pass journey. My question is regarding the seating arrangements in economy/coach, on the Superliner services - for example, the California Zephyr. For a number of my journeys, I intend to spend up to 24-36 hours travelling, including of course a number of overnights. Now as I'm travelling alone, I think I'd prefer to curl up to sleep in a standalone seat rather than next to a stranger. However it's hard to tell from most of the photos, here and elsewhere, whether such seats actually exist! I'm pretty certain that someone knows the answer, though. On the Renaissance carriages between Toronto and Montreal, which is my only experience of overnight rail travel to date, there are plenty of single as well as double seats - can I expect this on the Amtrak trains south of the border?

I'm pretty sure that all Superliners have a 2-2 configuration, which means if you still don't want to sit next to somebody, you might want to buy yourself a second seat.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip. :) B)

:p It don't mean that much to me! Just a petty preference :unsure:

:p It don't mean that much to me! Just a petty preference :unsure: it should be a fun trip, nonetheless

For seats during low-demand days, you'll most likely to have two seats.

All standard class seats on Amtrak are 2-2. In some business class such as Acela, seats are 1-2.

Seats on Amtrak are much better than economy class on airlines. It is very similiar to first class seats- enough reclining, roomier, and foot rest.

It depends on when you are going. If it's not summer, you have an excellent chance of getting two seats. You might want to consider last minute purchases of standard sleepers on whatever train you're on. You could get a great deal. Maybe during the course of your pass you mght allow yourself the luxury of a sleeper now and then.

Good luck and Have Fun

Scott

gswager said:
For seats during low-demand days, you'll most likely to have two seats.
All standard class seats on Amtrak are 2-2. In some business class such as Acela, seats are 1-2.

Seats on Amtrak are much better than economy class on airlines. It is very similiar to first class seats- enough reclining, roomier, and foot rest.
Except for the Coast Starlight -- I have always been assigned a seat next to someone else on my many trips on the Coast Starlight. It's not really that bad, though - especially if you are traveling alone since you will have someone else to talk with. Have fun! :)

I read an article today in Consumer Reports about coach in airlines, here's how they stack up against Amtrak:

Seat pitch (dist between rear of one seat to rear of next) Airlines 30-34 in, Amtrak 51 in

Seat width Airlines 16-17in Amtrak 23in

Food No comparison necessary

Scenery Airlines Tarmac Amtrak Anything you can imagine

Looks like Amtrak wins this battle!

Viewliner said:
I'm pretty sure that all Superliners have a 2-2 configuration, which means if you still don't want to sit next to somebody, you might want to buy yourself a second seat.
Hope this helps, enjoy your trip. :) B)
Won't work. Seats are not assigned by computer, andtry explaining to an Amtrak conductor that you bought two seats. You will be constantly battling the conductor and the attendant to keep that seat open for the entire trip on a full train.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Yes, clearly "second class" (i.e.coach) in Amtrak is roughly the equivalent of first class on the airlines.
However, the first class seats on a air plane are generally much better. On some airlines, they are complete flat. Also each seat is set up so that you are not "rubbing elbows" with the person next to you.

Steve4031 said:
Viewliner said:
Hope this helps, enjoy your trip. :)  B)
Won't work. Seats are not assigned by computer, andtry explaining to an Amtrak conductor that you bought two seats. You will be constantly battling the conductor and the attendant to keep that seat open for the entire trip on a full train.
Actually, on the contrary. If you catch me working that train, it'll work fine. I'll seat check you for two seats....or something. Trust me, I'd figure something out.

I would have to say if you're traveling in the summer, it probably doesn't matter which route you're on (unless it's the Kentucky Cardinal or something like that). The attendant will probably seat someone with you. I just came off of a trip on the CZ, and we were actually oversold. We were putting people anywhere we could.

In general attendants like to utilize each car to its fullest potential to make loading/unloading easier, as well as maintaining clenliness of cars, and grouping passengers. You most likely will be forced to sit next to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back