Sen Thad Cochran and Amtrak Funding

• Thread starter Guest_Fan_Trains
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

I Just wrote an Email to Sen thad Cochran on Amtrak Funding and I got his letter of response. here it is:

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for federal funding of national passenger railroad system.

I understand the importance of providing diverse and reliable methods of transportation. Please Know I will keep your views in mind when the Senate considers legislation to provide funding for Amtrak.

Knowing your thoughts on this issue is helpful to me, and I appreciate your taking the time to write.

Sincerely

THAD COCHRAN

United States Senator

This letter was the congressional equivalent of a blow-off. You may want to write him back, politely asking him to be a little more specific on what level of funding is appropriate for passenger rail. Every letter or email counts, sometimes in ways you may not be aware.

Bear in mind the congressional offices have incredibly sophisticated issue tracking software. They know what your voting precinct is, how you are registered, how often you vote, how often you write, and on what issues. The trick is not to become a "pen pal" (their phrase, not mine) while retaining a level of credibility.

That's what it sounds like. I got a similar letter from Sam Brownback, largely the same as the first one I go back in March or April. It is probably a form letter sent to all communications to his office and he never reads any of it. In my second letter I quoted my remarks to the President, threatened to start a new political party in Kansas, and shared that I broadcast weekly to all of Southwest Kansas on radio. Still the same old form letter. What do you have to do to really get a politicians attention?

I receive a reponse from Mrs Boxer (she sent 2 letters) on her support for Amtrak.

Back