SEPTA cancels contract with CRRC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchrailnut

Conductor
And the best part is that Septa still hasn't learned a lesson from this. IF and that's a big IF they go for another order they'll order from the lowest bidder again who doesn't have a reputation. One would think that the Rotem and this order will show the big wigs at Septa to change their ways, but my gut tells me otherwise.

@Acela150, Once upon a time I would have said that’s a horribly cynical take, but then I started riding SEPTA.

I say thank goodness, it was a stupid idea to run double decker locomotive hauled trained on the densest commuter rail system in the nation. It would have adversely affected schedules, and they would have tried to stick them everywhere, regardless of what they said.

And the best part is that Septa still hasn't learned a lesson from this. IF and that's a big IF they go for another order they'll order from the lowest bidder again who doesn't have a reputation. One would think that the Rotem and this order will show the big wigs at Septa to change their ways, but my gut tells me otherwise.
Do they have a choice? Many government agencies have to take the lowest bid.

Do they have a choice? Many government agencies have to take the lowest bid.
I think a competent contract manager can always figure out a reject with cause argument if such is indicated. But to do so first the contract manager has to be competent enough to evaluate a contract adequately to figure out that it is no good. SEPTA's fundamental problem apparently is in not having competent purchase contract management.

Last edited:
@Acela150, Once upon a time I would have said that’s a horribly cynical take, but then I started riding SEPTA.

I say thank goodness, it was a stupid idea to run double decker locomotive hauled trained on the densest commuter rail system in the nation. It would have adversely affected schedules, and they would have tried to stick them everywhere, regardless of what they said.
I believe they were planning to use them primarily on peak hour express trains which make less stops so therefore the slower acceleration of locomotive hauled would be less of an issue. It should also be noted the acceleration of the ACS-64 is pretty good compared to earlier models.

Although with the post COVID work from home phenomenon there may be less need for peak hour express trains and more of an even service throughout the day, which would favor EMUs over loco hauled.

One quick way to get new stuff may be something like Siemens Desirio based on Venture car shells. Or Alstom Aventra of CAF Civity. All will require to have a flat end rather than the streamlined noses to fit in with the way things are done at SEPTA.

What a mess this has turned into, as for options. It was back in February that Kawasaki delivered a pair of M8s for Metro North, which were the last ones to be delivered for Metro North. So you can't rule Kawasaki out. Alstom has its Adessia and Coradia family trains. It's really up to Septa to see what they want. It would make sense for them to order EMUs, since they're planning to phase out the Silverliner IVs.

Back