September trip plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric Minton

Aloha

I will be attending a conference in New Orleans. I need to arrive sometime Saturday 9/18 and leave Thursday 9/23.

I want to spend several days in Los Angeles.

Amtrak does not sell complete packages from Honolulu to New Orleans and back. :( so I must pay difference between Direct Airfare (about 700.00) and what using the train to get there.

Any recomendations?

Mahalo = Thanks

Eric

As A new user I Did mean to use Sad emoticon for message I am happy for the chance to take the train part way.

Eric

Well without a doubt the most direct route is the Sunset Limited, train #2, from Los Angeles to New Orleans. However the only problem is that this train often runs very very late, so if you are willing to deal with this then you should be ok. Check Amtrak.com for the fares on this train, it should not be to much. Are you looking into a sleeper or to travel by coach?

Aloha

I considered the Sunset Limited which I have have had the pleasure of riding before. The problem with this train is it's arrival/departure time. Would cause extra hotel days, at my expense :(

Guest said:
AlohaI considered the Sunset Limited which I have have had the pleasure of riding before. The problem with this train is it's arrival/departure time. Would cause extra hotel days, at my expense :(
Well the only other alternative would be the SW Chief to Chicago and then the City of NOL. That requires an extra night on the train though, so if expense is an issue this may not work.

If the point is that you'd rather be on a train, than in a hotel, then by all means head to New Orleans via Chicago.

Otherwise from LA, your options are rather limited. Yes you could take the Coast Starlight to Emeryville and then the Zephyr to Chicago, but that would add even more time, plus an overnight in Emeryville.

I suppose that you could also consider the Starligh to Portland and from there the Empire Builder to Chicago, but that connection is often broken.

Aloha

Finaly I have Something affordable. The route is as someone sugested belore. LA-EMERYVILE-CHI-NOL.

Anyone know of a place to crash overnight, The station closes an hour after I arrive for 7 hours. I can't afford this way to get there but I want to ride the California Zepher, the City of Neworleans is extra.

Mahalo = Thanks

Eric :rolleyes: :lol: :)

Eric,

If you never spent any time in downtown Chicago, this might be a good time to for at least a night. Chicago is a wonderfull city with plenty of action. I am sure you would truly enjoy it.

On a further note, you may want to look into a sleeper on the City Of N.O. (#59). In November I was able to get a deluxe room at the lowest bucket fare of $114. This is a great deal for a deluxe room. I am sure the standard sleepers would be cheeper yet, at their lowest fare.

There is a travel agent in the State of Oregon (I think) called "Accent On Travel" that has advertised in Trains magazine for many years. I have never used them myself, but they claim to specialize in Amtrak and VIA Rail travel. I am sure they are very good and know what there doing if they advertise in Trains constantly. You may find someone like this usefull with the complexity of your trip from Hawaii. They might be able to help you on getting better pricing on air fare, or know of other things, especially on the air portion of your trip that none of us may know about. If your intrested in calling them I will dig up there phone number out of an old issue.

Eric:

Try calling Pat Kelley Travel in Honolulu. I don't know if they are still in business, but when I lived there, they did my Amtrak travel and they were knowledgeable.

aloha,

Aloha And Mahalo

for the replies, I have used Accent on Travel and they were great. This time though as on other ocasions when the trip includes a portian for my work I must use a local Travel Agent. Lori at City travel has also taken great care of our travel needs.

The official primary reason to take this trip is to attend a conference in New Orleans. The train and the time to visit my daughter and grand daughter are a bonus :D

I have visited Chicago and you are right there are plenty of great atractions I will go there again, :) but not this time, there are <_< five hours between trains.

The need this time is a place to stay the night in Emeryville as the arival is 10:00 p.m. and departure is 9:?? a.m. If the station stayed open all night I would just wait there. :unsure: Less time if the Starlight is late as it frenquently is at this point.

I am going to eventuall try all of the Long Distance trains :lol: This time it is the California Zepher and City of New Orleans

About your need for a hotel in Emervyille,I have no idea, but have you tried webs like hotels.com, travelocity, expedia, etc ? They should help, and with reasonable prices at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back