Setting here on avery tardy westbound Zephyr. Over 5 hrs late because

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered about that; the worst of the storms had mostly moved on by time the Zephyr usually comes through Nebraska, but there were some lingering warnings throughout the night.

5 that departed Chicago on Saturday is 10 hours late into Provo. Wish I was on it.
Ooh, yes. I once got to see Soldier Summit inthe daytime. That's rare.
I used to drive out to Soldier Summit from Provo, when I spent each week in Orem in my Novell days. Nice rail fanning locations all along there across the Wasatch! My favorite was Castle Gate.

To add to storm delays we have been in Denver about 2 hrs because of mechanical problems. Been a rough trip.

To add to storm delays we have been in Denver about 2 hrs because of mechanical problems. Been a rough trip.
Oh dear. :(

I hope the delay doesn't cause you to miss too much of the scenery between Denver and Lake Tahoe. I hear that's the best part.

Well the 5 that is being discussed in this thread has now left Denver is 8 hours 30 minutes late out of Winter Park. The one that I was tracking left Elko 15 hours plus late. It lost 5 hours between SLC and Elko.

Huge rock slide in the canyon,we spent 8 hrs @ Crimons,now we are going back to Denver.A rough trip,but the sleeper came in handy.

Great! I'm on 22 today from LVW and it hasn't left SAS and I'm on 5 tomorrow to SAC then 14 to SEA. Looks like my vacation is screwed. I suppose 5 will detour through Wyoming or bus. I think maybe I will just give up now.

Great! I'm on 22 today from LVW and it hasn't left SAS and I'm on 5 tomorrow to SAC then 14 to SEA. Looks like my vacation is screwed. I suppose 5 will detour through Wyoming or bus. I think maybe I will just give up now.
Has Amtrak called you to advise? Things might be okay by the time you board #5 tomorrow.

No I haven't gotten a call. I am actually taking AMBus from Houston at 1pm today to LVW. I see 22 has now left SAS an today is one of the Texas Eagle track work detour days so maybe they can make up some of that time. Regarding the Zephyr, I suppose I would rather take the SW Chief from Galesburg to LAX and get on the Coast Starlight there if it looks like there's going to be problems on the Zephyr. I guess I'll wait Hal a day and see.

The #5 that left chicago on 10 May arrived Emeryville this morning about 15 hrs late, due to rock slides in Colorado and waiting 2 hrs at Granby for a fresh crew. There were other problems east of Colorado due to other mechanical issues.

The #5 of the next day encountered numerous tornado warnings in the Midwest. And it sounds like the #5 behind it (left Chicago on 12 May) has encountered more slides in Colorado and will now be rerouted through Wyoming?

The CZ that arrived EMY at 6:45 this morning is expected to head east around 1 PM -- starting 4 hours late out of the gate.

Rock slides are common in

colorado are common in springtime as melting snow lubricates rocks which have cracked during the winter from water freezing and expanding in various rock crevices.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Excellent plan to catch the SWC in Galesburg to LAX if #5 is going to be re-routed thru Wyoming! Call AGR and Rebook by STL if you decide to do this! (Of course the Van ride from SPI-GBB is the same) Today's # 22 left SAS Late and also Austin due to the Bustitutions North of Taylor to Longview!

The re-route on the old MoPac route from Taylor-Lingview only stops briefly to change T&E Crews in Hearne so it may make up some time! This UP freight route is very heavily traveled and has mostly slow orders due to bad track!

We had LOTS of Rain last note with Flooding in lots of Texas and its still raining in East Texas! This MAY be s problem North of Little Rock where flooding is a problem when it rains a lot!

Nice trip, keep us posted!

We have some friends from our town that are on 5(11). They were on their way to SAC to visit relatives. It has become a real Amtrak adventure as it looks like their train reached Granby and then was turned around and went back to Denver overnight? And now they are on the Wyoming detour? :eek:

Now for those of us Amtrak gurus, that would be a real fun trip. I hope they have the same sense of humor when they arrive in CA a day late. :help:

The whole reason I planned this trip is because last year when I did CHI-LAX-EMY-DEN, we got rerouted thru Wyoming due to the track flooding west of Denver. Now it looks like I will miss the Rockies again since over on trainorders they are saying the Wyoming reroute will be at least three days.

Now I have to decide if I want the chief again or just stick with what I've got in case they get the slide moved in time.

On a side note, I'm on the AmBus charter from HOS to LVW right now and it's a nice ride. I was worried that the number of kids would make for a noisy trip, but its so quiet I think the noise of me opening my package of Thin Mint Girl scout cookies was going to wake everyone.

Is it weird that there's nothing listed about the CZ under "Service Disruptions" on Amtrak.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back