SF Muni joyriding: J vs K vs M

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one should I joyride?

• J-Church

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • K-Ingleside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M-Ocean View

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
I'll be in San Francisco again to deal with personal business. Afterwards, I'll probably have a few hours left before hopping on the Greyhound back to Reno. In the meantime, I would like to joyride some Muni routes.

I'll be starting in the middle of Route 49, a trackless trolley route. I plan to ride it down to the Balboa Park area, then ride a Muni rail route to Market Street, and then hop on a PCC to Market & Main, the closet trolley stop to Greyhound at the Transbay Terminal.

So the problem is, I don't know which rail route I should ride. Trying to decide between the J, K, and M. Note that I also have to transfer from the 49, so a safe transfer is important too. This will be done in the middle of the day.

My options:

J-Church: Gets me to Market & Church, where I can transfer to a PCC on the F. Apparently an interesting route with lots of private right-of-way, but it's basically backtracking besides the 49. Not very high ridership and only one LRV pair, shouldn't be crowded. Missed this route last time in the dark, when I rode a PCC yard run to Balboa Park.

K-Ingleside: Ride to Castro Station, come outdoors and hop on a PCC. Don't know much at all about this one. Never been to the area, so it interests me as well. Ridership is similar to the J and it also has one LRV pair. Accroding to Google Maps, this is the easiest transfer, right besides Phelan Loop.

M-Ocean View: Basically a longer version of the K. Takes a bit more time. Might not be easy to transfer from the 49, according to Google Maps. High ridership and two LRV pairs to mitigate crowding. Could be an interesting, far-out south ride.

Also, how's the OTP on these routes? Not just the J, K, and M, but how's the OTP of the 49? Would like to ride an old E60 trackless trolley.

Thanks for any replies, and please at least vote in the poll, even if you don't have the time to reply!

The J is through routed with the M so you can ride a big look and get Mission Dolores Park, the PRW down the middle of 19th Ave and the Twin Peaks Tunnel all in one side.

For anyone who might come here for future reference, I think I've translated Swadian Hardcore:

trackless trolley = electric bus (using overhead catenary)

PCC = F-line streetcar (not all of the historic F-line cars are PCC)

Muni rail = Metro

It should be noted at the J, K, and M Metro lines all begin at Embarcadero Station, in the Financial District, and end at Balboa Park Station.

Back