Sfo to tampa, anothet trip modification

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railfan415

Train Attendant
Heres the deal ,was originally booked on the zepher to cap limited to silver meteor for a bus connection from orlando to tampa round trip but here is the new res, san joaquin to bakersfield then bus to LA then sw chief to cap limited to silver meteor, and return silver meteor to cap limited to empire builder to coast starlight, personally i love trains and cant get enough of them and i have never been on the builder or the chief befor so i am excited but i was really looking forword to the zepher for my return to sfo but that aint gona happen. My question is are the views from the empire builder as spectacular as the views from the zepher ? Im leaving chicago on the 27th of this month

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion, the views from the EB are not as dramatic as the CZ, but there is actually more scenic areas on EB than CZ. I found almost all of the EB scenic, but CZ between Denver and Chicago was pretty mundane.

There may be others who disagree.

Have a great trip. I am booked on the SWC in March and am looking forward to it.

:hi: Overall most train travelers would rate the CZ as having the best/most scenery of the LD Western trains! The Coast Starlight also is pretty spectactular !(my personal favorite)

As to the Empire Builder, the water front run North of SEA, the Cascades and the Glacier Park area are all spectactular also! :cool: Not much to be said for Eastern Montana and North Dakota, (a prarie is a prarie!) but the trip through Minnesota and Wisconson is pretty sweet also!

The Southwest Chief also is a nice trip, especially when the Kansas Rollercoaster/Miles and Miles of Miles, is covered at night! Highlight on this Route is the Raton Pass area, if you havent riddden this yet catch it while you can!

Of course to experience all of the Highlights of any LD Route, you need to ride in both directions so you get to see different parts that may be in the dark one way, and in daylight the other! You cant go wrong on any Western train but do have to say that the poor Sunset Ltd. isnt exactly noted for its scenic beauty but is a good Train to ride! (Great OBS/Food/Fairly good OTP and the cities on both ends, LAX and NOL are great! :wub: )

I've taken all three routes &, even though the CZ is a great route, the SWC & EB are as well. Since you've never been on those routes, you're in for a hell of a trip!

Have Fun

I took the exact same trip last summer and it is an incredible way to see a lot of the country. The Zephyr is a fantastic ride but this does not look like a good year to ride it even when it is running. I enjoyed all of the Chief with exception of the rough track the second night out. The only problem with the EB going west is the sun goes down, the area around Glacier is just plain spectacular and the ride along the Columbia River next morning is a great finish to the Builder. I'm jealous, have a great trip!!

I've taken all three routes &, even though the CZ is a great route, the SWC & EB are as well. Since you've never been on those routes, you're in for a hell of a trip!

Have Fun
Thanks for the reply, i see your from tampa, do u know what i can expect as far as weather goes ?. Ill be down there from the 20th to the 25th.

IMO the coast starlight has the best scenery, followed by the EB.....again, JMO....

In any event, enjoy your trip!!

Have Fun
Thanks for the reply, i see your from tampa, do u know what i can expect as far as weather goes ?. Ill be down there from the 20th to the 25th.
Well, that's a tough call. But so has the rest of the country this year. Normally it's still pretty warm/hot ( that's Florida) & we're still in hurricane season. COME ON DOWN & HAVE FUN!!!!

Have Fun
Any trip on Amtrak is a hell of a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back