SFP to SLC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This part starts before the trip as we decided to go to the ferry building station and upgrade to two roomettes. Traveling on Cal-train the day of our baseball game was interesting as it was just after the London bombings. Security was extremely high and several cops and explosive dogs searched the trains. Departing on Cal-train the next morning was different as the security was lax again. After the short bus ride to emeryville, we boarded car 6/20 which was the trans dorm for our trip back to SLC on the 8th. The consist was as such:

Genesis 76

Genesis 141

Baggage 1264

Trans slp 39007

Sleeper 32049

Sleeper 32062

Diner 38038

Lounge 33019

Coach 34056

Coach 35007

Coach 34000

We left EMY on-time and were given a detail breifing by our attendant. The glass in the roomette on the right side of the train had a sandblasted look and didn't provide a good view of the scenery. It had been in the sun all day and was hot, so we tried to keep the kids in that room. We had lunch in the diner at noon with the kids having mac & cheese and my wife and I having the Angus Steak Burger which was good. Service was good at lunch and we finished it up with cheesecake and a chocolate pyramid, yummm! Being stuffed, we went with the 7:30pm rez for dinner and my wife and I had the prime rib and it was delicious. Dinner overall was a pain with the kids, as service was slow. We got served out of order and I was hoping they would say something about our kids so I could really let them know how I felt. Our server was swamped, so it was the supervisor/leader (can't remember what their title is) who was to blame. We waited 20 minutes just to settle our bill with her. We went to sleep soon after, as we had to get up at 3am to get off. I figured we would get some extra sleep as we were already an hour late, but awaking at 3 found us on-time outside of SLC. We ended up being 37 minutes late sitting outside the yard. Ended up 18 min early to Chi, Wow! Good trip, can't wait to go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back