shipping baggage ahead

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
We are trying to arrange a trip to Reno in Dec around Christmas, using sleepers from Ma to CHI and then from CHI to Reno. Problem is that our little station is only manned mon-fri, with no baggage service on weekends and holidays. Last year we shipped our baggage ahead to Seattle and it was held for four days until we completed our train journey. That worked out really well on both ends. My question is if it would be possible to ship baggage ahead to Reno and have them hold it for us until we arrive, probably a few days after. Been to the station in Reno and don't really know if they could handle it. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Being a delivery driver for a major parcel delivery company, I have delivered more than one piece of luggage in my lifetime. If the Reno thing doesn't work, ask a delivery driver wearing brown about shipping luggage. My aunt use to do it all the time, she was about 5ft tall and weighed about 80lbs and had a hard time carrying a heavy suitcase. I also have delivered suitcases to large hotels in my town from people who travel all the time for business and are tired of the airlines losing their suitcases. This is just an idea if the Reno thing doesn' work.

On my recent trip from CHI to RNO, They sent my bag on the direct route while I traveled the long way via PDX and SAC. My bag was waiting for me when I got to RNO. There is plenty of room at the RNO station.

Thanks to all who replied, sometimes the 1-800 number just doesn't cut it, esoecially when you want specifac info ona selected station. Glad to hear that the Reno station would be able to do this.

For staffed stations, you can also look up the station hours on the Amtrak web site, look up the actual phone number for the station on the internet, and then call the station and talk to a station agent. I've done that myself quite a few times when I want to know specific and relatively current information about the station or about something close by like places to eat, car rentals, or nearby hotels, etc.. You may have to call several times, though, because frequently you will get an answering machine if the agent is otherwise occupied when you call. You might check the times that trains are due in to that station, then check to see train status, and pick a time to call that's perhaps a couple hours before or an hour after a train arrival/departure. I've got nationwide long distance on my cellphone, so that's not a problem for me. But when you actually talk to a station agent directly, the info you get is coming from the horse's mouth rather than someplace else.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back