Shooting at Dallas Union Station, Texas Eagle involved

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan, thank you for adding the citations for the sources. Navyblue, I would love to see those types of citations included if you are copying/pasting information from a third party source. Then we can all evaluate for ourselves where the information came from.

I don't think we need metal detectors for the trains.

A quote from a E-Mail from a reporter about doing a follow up story.

"There is still an internal affairs inquiry but it's moving slowly.  We hope to do a follow as soon as we know more from the investigation."

Not sure if this post is proper, Mod please delete if there issues. Thanks.

Thank you for the links. Alas, as I'm sure you noticed, both links are from December 6, so these weren't follow-up stories.

Ah, here's a short television bit that doesn't really advance the story. It is something new, though.

One angle that I would have thought would have come up: is the innocent bystander seeking compensation for being shot?

As long as there are grade crossings, screening passengers is just security theater. If you look at what has happened to Amtrak trains, we don't need to worry about passengers with guns or bombs, we need to worry about trucks at grade crossings. That's what actually kills people in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there are grade crossings, screening passengers is just security theater. If you look at what has happened to Amtrak trains, we don't need to worry about passengers with guns or bombs, we need to worry about trucks at grade crossings. That's what actually kills people in the real world.
exactly! Also, if we start the metal detector and other security theatre game, does that mean that all the platform only stops will have to be eliminated? For many of these, the train is the town's ONLY public transportation. These games wiould alos eliminate one of the train's major advantages for short to medium distances.

Again, this still is nothing new or news.

DPD still internally investigating. Even WFAA ABC Ch. 8 report Wednesday 21 Dec contained no new information, with exception of indirect quote that investigators say it was unavoidable* and probably saved people's lives.

AFIK there were NO Amtrak police on the Eagle at the time of the shooting.

Comment:* Unavoidable? What about a scenario where officers talk with the citizen in the station, or on platform?

From Dept. of Conicidences, here's a story about armed Connecticut police searching a Metro North commuter train for a murder suspect (to no avail) this week.

"The train was stopped in Darien, where police, with guns drawn, searched the crowded trains for [suspect] Williams.

He was not found."

Story notes suspect may be bound for Nevada or California. Let's hope he doesn't take the Zephyr. This guy is wanted for Murder, not just Questioning...

Amtrak police are few and far between outside the NEC. I meet one in North Carolina, and he told me he was it for the SE. I don't recall if that was an accurate recollection, but the point is there was probably not an Amtrak Cop anywhere near Dallas that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back