Shooting in Washington Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant
The newscreatures are talking about this as I type. Anyone here know anything?

Apparently it was a domestic. Guy with a knife stabbed girl friend, security guard shot the guy. No fatalities.

And the Security Officer was a Rent-a-Cop from the SEC!

Wonder where Amtrak Police,the Feds, Washington's Finest etc. were on 911?

Glad no Passengers, Customers or Workers were injured and apparently it didn't hinder train operations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it was a domestic. Guy with a knife stabbed girl friend, security guard shot the guy. No fatalities.
Yeah, I've made the already terrible decision that my girl needs to be cut to keep her in line.... how can I make this worse? I know, let's do it in the train station in DC on 9/11... :ph34r:

Glad no Passengers, Customers or Workers were injured and apparently it didn't hinder train operations!
On parade or receiving some kind of medals, I'd guess.

Rent-a-cop? Perhaps he was in Union Station for lunch.

There is a private security guard (read: its cheaper for the SEC to rent security than having them on the Federal payroll - which would include real benefits) who is stationed at the entrance hallway to the SEC that goes to/from Union Station, and is very close to the McDonalds. I know this because they have kicked me out of the hallway when I've tried to linger there to look down on the tracks at Union Station. :(

Why should we expect Amtrak, federal, or D.C. cops to blanket Union Station? Do we want them to be watching everything we do? Do we want them watching us down a reuben sandwich at lunch? It was just lucky a private security guard happened to see the incident—and, as it turned out,that was a good thing. Okay, everyone. Move along. Nothing to see here.

BTW, it is being reported that the incident was a "domestic dispute."

No "foreigners" involved, but it must have been a "terror" to witness while poisoning oneself err, 'dining' at the Golden Arches.. :rolleyes:

There is a private security guard (read: its cheaper for the SEC to rent security than having them on the Federal payroll - which would include real benefits) who is stationed at the entrance hallway to the SEC that goes to/from Union Station, and is very close to the McDonalds. I know this because they have kicked me out of the hallway when I've tried to linger there to look down on the tracks at Union Station. :(
Washington Post report: Security guard shoots person at Union Station.

The stabbing reportedly happened just outside of Union Station, in the passageway leading to the SEC and Kaiser Permanante. The SEC guard then chased the man into the station where he was shot near the McDonalds. Those wondering about the station security, the Amtrak Police are usually stationed at the desk in the center of concourse (center meaning on the E-W axis) and were probably reacting as the SEC guard chased the suspect into station. Sounds like an incident that was over in 10s of seconds.

Good point Henry, but what I was aluding to is that since it is 911, in Union Station in Washington on a busy Friday, you'd think that LE would want to show the flag like they do so often in NYP on Special occasions!

And I don't care for "Private" Security, we spend so much on Public Safety, why waste Tax Dollars on "for profit" Security in Government Buildings?? Plenty of trained Vets need the Work! YMMV

Good point Henry, but what I was aluding to is that since it is 911, in Union Station in Washington on a busy Friday, you'd think that LE would want to show the flag like they do so often in NYP on Special occasions!

And I don't care for "Private" Security, we spend so much on Public Safety, why waste Tax Dollars on "for profit" Security in Government Buildings?? Plenty of trained Vets need the Work! YMMV
It wasn't in the food court but near gate G per a picture I saw.

Not to disagree with you, JimHudson, but aren't many if not most private security guards former military? They've got the training. (Just guessing, though.)

Amtrak police and private security folks are all around the station all the time, today was no different. Other than a news crew out front, it was just another ordinary afternoon as I passed through.

You raise an interesting question, Ryan. Does spit and polish follow a former soldier into civilian life? I don't know—I was never in the military myself.

Based on what I have read and heard, the Security Guard made the correct move. He saw a situation that could have easily endangered other nearby folks and acted properly to safely neutralize the situation.

You raise an interesting question, Ryan. Does spit and polish follow a former soldier into civilian life? I don't know—I was never in the military myself.
Not any of the ex-military people I've ever known. Including my dad, who has a fondness for very long showers because he "got all the short showers [he] needed" in the Navy.

I'd actually wager most are ex-military because its advantageous to getting contracts.

The security firm might be (partially) owned by a veteran, or better yet, a service-disabled veteran, and thus get an advantage in getting the contract. Whether the actual on-the-ground security guards are ex-military has nothing to do with whether the firm gets the contract. All my opinion.

Sorry to interrupt this stream of spectacularly useless speculation, and to bring the thread back to being more on topic, but the alleged stabber has died of his wounds.

Okay, now back to the mindless speculation...

I wonder if the alleged stabber had eaten at McDonalds prior to being shot in the stomach? :huh:

:eek:hboy:

Now the mindless speculation will center on whether the public was really endangered by the stabber (who seems to have had a single target) and if not, if his shooting was righteous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back