Should Amtrak Invest In The Turbocharged Engine?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Amtrak Invest In The Turbocharged Engine?

• Yes, it would be good investment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it would not be good investment.

• Maybe, it might be a good investment.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
The Turbocharged Engine is a sister to the Amtrak Acela Express engine, but its non-electrified, so it can go anywhere! It was tested in the VIA Corridor, reaching speeds of 100mph, but it can reach speeds of 150mph, it the track condition allows it, and it can be coupled to any type of car, unlike the Acela engine. :)

Good question! :) I voted maybe at this point, simply because until the freight RR's improve their tracks properly, Amtrak would be unable to actually run the train at 150 MPH. But I'd love to see both the improvements and the engine happen.

A few corrections though if I may. :) One, the engine is actually a Jet engine, not a turbo-charged engine. Two, the test engine can accept any type of passenger car. However the production models will be just like the Acela's with a fixed consist. They will not be able to accept any type of car.

The reason for this is that once you go faster than 125 MPH on our existing tracks, you must use tilt technology. Tilt technology works best with a fixed and not coupled car systems. In fact this is one reason that the test train did not exceed 100 MPH during testing in Canada. Partly because the people in the car would have been thrown around at 150 MPH, partly because the tracks could not handle it.

Alan does make a good point about the turbo charger subject, all locomtives have a turbo charger, this however is jet propelled. I think the Jet Engine may work well once East Coast high speed service is established. My ideal HSR train would use a diesel jet on one end, and ahve an Acela power car on the other. This way the train can use the diesel in non-elctrified areas, and use the electric on the corridor. Another advantage is that with MU capabilities the trains would not need to be turned, as you can run both the diesel and electric from the same cab.

battalion51 said:
My ideal HSR train would use a diesel jet on one end, and ahve an Acela power car on the other. This way the train can use the diesel in non-elctrified areas, and use the electric on the corridor. Another advantage is that with MU capabilities the trains would not need to be turned, as you can run both the diesel and electric from the same cab.
B51,

Now that is a very interesting concept. I like that idea a whole lot. :D That would be really cool and the ultimate in passenger convenience.

:)

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
My ideal HSR train would use a diesel jet on one end, and ahve an Acela power car on the other. This way the train can use the diesel in non-elctrified areas, and use the electric on the corridor. Another advantage is that with MU capabilities the trains would not need to be turned, as you can run both the diesel and electric from the same cab.
B51,

Now that is a very interesting concept. I like that idea a whole lot. :D That would be really cool and the ultimate in passenger convenience.

:)
Wow, that is a good one, you could now have trains running between BOS-NYC-PHL-(HAR)-WAS on electric power, but with updated track trains could continue to run to Pittsburgh or Richmond, etc.

I voted "yes," but with a caveat: they should be bought after corridors in the Pacific NW, California, and the Midwest are upgraded to use the faster technology. Of course, I'd like to see all of Amtrak's routes, including the long-distance trains, upgraded to allow 150 MPH speed limits. Imagine travelling across the "beige lands" (quote thanks to our regular visitor Frank) of North Dakota and Montana at 150 MPH. Of course, the trains would still slow down through the mountains, but would be able to really move across the flatlands.

I voted "no" because I prefer to see the present system up and working to the point where people who want to make a reservation can be accommodated (equipment repairs), and there are enough trains to fill a more functional schedule requiring less flexibility.

Thanks for briefly describing what these engines are all about, amtrakadironack. Up until this point I had no idea what they are or how they were different from regular locomotives. I voted yes, but I do agree with AmtrakWatcher that it is of first importance to get enough sleeper (and even coach in some cases) equipment to operate all routes with adequate capacity - this will increase the efficiency of our trains since more people on each train means more revenue which means less subsidy, you get the picture.

I only imagine the Sunset Limited with these locomotives and the tilting cars flying across America at 150mph, from coast to coast... in half the time that it currently takes...

:D

I voted yes, because I think that if amtrak has faster engines, that more people will want to ride, which would add more income, which would allow for ROW and fleet improvements

F59PHI, in my opinion you make the right-of-way improvements, and then worry about upgrading equipment. Most of the track Amtrak operates on now is barely good for 79 (can we say CSX?) much less 125-150 MPH operation. There is a lot more than many think is necessary to upgrade track. 150 MPH operation not only will require tilting trainsets, but also 150lb rail (it could be more), 21-24 inches of ballast, as well as improved signals, grade crossing improvements or elimination, and likely a cab signal system. In order to get Acela off the ground Amtrak had to create ACSES (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System) which is a very difficult thing to implement over thousands of track miles. Currently 79 MPH track has 115lb rail, 9 inches of ballast, grade crossings, draw bridges, and trespassers. These are all things that would have to change before you can operate at higher speeds. So in my opinion Amtrak should continue with P-42's until 110 MPH operation is under the maximum speed permitted.

Good point, but I would think that at least some tracks could have trains running faster(i.e.MNR hudson line). Another way to draw passengers could be to make the coaches/sleepers fancier. (though the viewliners are comfortable)

Also, Amtrak should have parlour cars on every train route.

I voted no for the reason that what would be the point of having an engine that can go 150 in diesel territory if the infrastructure stays in the same condition. Where's the incentive for the freights to undertake a massive improvment program to improve the tracks and signals to allow for the faster running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back