Should I depart from SAL, KAN, or CLT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be traveling back and forth from western NC to Alexandria VA and I'm wondering which station would be the best to depart from. I will be driving from Asheville NC, and I need to be able to park my car for the weekend without too much worry. I would go with GRV, or SPB, or GAS but the Carolinian is so much cheaper and the timing is much more convenient for me. I've heard the CLT station is in a bit of a sketchy area, is this true?

CLT has a ticket office and checked baggage if you want those services. KAN and SAL have station attendants and enclosed waiting areas, but no ticket office or checked baggage. CLT does seem (to me at least) to be in a bit of sketchy area.

I drive from Franklin thru Asheville to take the Carolinian and Piedmont services.

SAL is a nice area and the station while not 24/7 seems a pretty safe area to park in.

KAN is also pretty good.

CLT is obviously the closest but it is in a less then desireable part of town. That not withstanding the train station has 4 arrivals and 4 departures a day including late night arrivals and departures that mean someone is always around there. I am not sure I would leave my car in CLT if it was a nice late model. An older model will not attract the same attention and might be safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back