Should I rail or fly? What do you do during long layovers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never ridden on rail. Am I crazy?
Yes, yes you are. My short advice is fly. There are many direct flights, it's simply the ideal situation. Going by rail is going to be ineffecient and unpractical, and frankly I fear there is a risk that this trip could turn you off rail travel if it's your first time.

My long advice is fly, and then plan out another rail trip in the future that provides you a greater rail experience. Take the train simply to New Orleans, or the other other way to DC or NYC. It will take you there direct, and once at the station you can take the streetcar or subway straight into downtown. Or save up and plan a trip where you fly to Chicago (yes I know you hate flying, but you're in Atlanta, you can go direct anywhere) take a western train to Seattle or San Francisco or LA, or vice versa, and fly back. Those trains are national treasures, and you'll be a rail fan for life afterwards.

Thank you guys a bunch. I'm going to simplify things, suck it up, and just book a roundtrip flight. I will look into rail in the future, but you guys are right... this isn't the route. I do agree that it's a shame we don't have a better system. Maybe one day...

Thanks again, I'll read around in the future and try to get some tips on other routes. I do have family in Chicago, and that western trip sounded pretty nice.

For what it's worth, the sleeping accomodations (though it's a day portion) between Atlanta and NOL are about the cheapest in the Amtrak system. Plus, since it's during the day, I think you can get all three meals included. May be just lunch, though... (8:30 AM to 7:30 PM - 12 hours, plus gain an hour going West)

At any rate, it can sometimes only be a $55 upgrade! And, even though it's daytime, you may ask for it to be set up for sleeping and getting a good afternoon nap before hitting NOL's nightlife.

I know it is difficult with the timing to get to Texas in the Southeast. I avoided the Cresent all together when traveling from North AL to Texas last month .. I drove to Poplar Bluff MO and got on the TE there. From my house to PB is about 6 hours. Have an advantage though since I have family who live there.

For what it's worth, the sleeping accomodations (though it's a day portion) between Atlanta and NOL are about the cheapest in the Amtrak system. Plus, since it's during the day, I think you can get all three meals included. May be just lunch, though... (8:30 AM to 7:30 PM - 12 hours, plus gain an hour going West)

At any rate, it can sometimes only be a $55 upgrade! And, even though it's daytime, you may ask for it to be set up for sleeping and getting a good afternoon nap before hitting NOL's nightlife.
You get all 3 meal. Breakfast in ATL as soon as you get on the train. Then lunch. Abbreviated dinner before NOL arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back